close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ivory Billed Woodpecker

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darwin, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

This story is on CNN.com. Amazing!!

Experts: 'Extinct' woodpecker found
    Ivory-billed woodpecker last confirmed 60 years ago
    Thursday, April 28, 2005 Posted: 9:54 AM EDT (1354 GMT)

The ivory-billed woodpecker long suspected to be extinct, has been rediscovered in eastern Arkansas.

RELATED
    • National Audubon Society

It's just the most exciting report in my lifetime.
    -- Ornithologist Frank Gill

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The ivory-billed woodpecker, long feared extinct, has been rediscovered in a remote part of Arkansas some 60 years after the last confirmed U.S. sighting, bird experts said Thursday.

Several people have seen and heard an ivory-billed woodpecker in a protected forest in eastern Arkansas near the last reliable sighting of the bird in 1944, and one was captured on video last year.

"The ivory-billed woodpecker (Campephilus principalis), long suspected to be extinct, has been rediscovered in the 'Big Woods' region of eastern Arkansas," researchers wrote in the journal Science in an article hastily prepared for release.

"Visual encounters during 2004 and 2005, and analysis of a video clip from April 2004, confirm the existence of at least one male."

Drumming sounds made by the birds have also been heard, the researchers said.

"This is huge. Just huge," said Frank Gill, senior ornithologist at the Audubon Society. "It is kind of like finding Elvis."

Gill said there is little doubt the sightings are genuine. The experts were expected to display some of the evidence at a news conference at the Department of the Interior later Thursday.

"The ivory-billed woodpecker is one of six North American bird species suspected or known to have gone extinct since 1880," wrote the researchers, led by John Fitzpatrick of the Cornell University Laboratory of Ornithology in New York.

"The others are Labrador duck (Camptorhynchus labradorius), Eskimo curlew (Numenius borealis), Carolina parakeet (Conuropsis carolinensis), passenger pigeon (Ectopistes migratorius), and Bachman's warbler (Vermivora bachmanii)."

Big but shy
    A large, dramatic-looking bird, the ivory-billed woodpecker was known to be shy and to prefer the deep woods of the U.S. Southeast.

"Its disappearance coincided with systematic annihilation of virgin tall forests across southeastern United States between 1880 and the 1940s," the researchers wrote.

People claimed to have seen it but the bird closely resembles the pileated woodpecker, which is noisy, less shy and quite common.

More reliable sightings were reported in Cuba as late as the 1980s.

"There have been lots and lots of reports and many of them have been off but others have been possible," Gill said in a telephone interview. "But this time we got it."

Gill said the bird was seen just over the border from Louisiana where the last documented ivory-bill was seen in 1944. "As a woodpecker flies it's not far," he said.

The birds only live about 15 years so the sightings mean they must be breeding somewhere.

"There has got to be a pretty serious lineage," Gill said. "It's got to be more than a few."

People are likely to flock to the area to try to see the birds themselves but it will be difficult, Gill said.

"It is not something you just go down and see. Your odds are very low," Gill said. "It is remote, difficult country. This time of year it is getting very buggy and very snakey and there is a lot of foliage."

But the discovery may help get protection for a larger area of the Big Woods, the nonprofit Nature Conservancy said.

"This area was once the largest expanse of forested wetlands in the country, originally consisting of 21 million acres of bottomland hardwood forests. Today, only 4.9 million acres remain, mostly in scattered woodland patches," it says on its Internet Web site.

"It's just the most exciting report in my lifetime. I think we will move ... to make this a globally important bird wildlife area," Gill said.

2. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Let's head down to Arkansas and take some big equipment with us. Since these birds live in the very remote areas, we'll need to clear a large path to get back in far enough to see them. In fact, if we clearcut the entire area, we'll be able to see them even better. Somebody get me a D11!!!

Sounds like a plan!!!

UFM82

3. catking

catking Banned

These kinds of stories does the heart good. Great to see an animal beat the odds ........Thanks Buddy Punk .................DA KING !!! :)

4. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Amazing that it went 60 years without being seen! I know people have been trying to get one of these on film for a while now and they went to some great measures with new technology in La. nothing to show for it until now.

5. It's definately a reason why you keep looking and keep things protected that need it.... oh wait this is what I am doing now anyways...thankfully its a fish and not a bird though :)

The funny thing is so many biologists leave the country to go to south american to go find "new" things or things that have never been seen before. When the fact of the matter is there is plenty here that still hasn't been found, seen, or properly classified as a species. There are so many streams in remote places still where fish are seen for the first time still. Well they can keep on doing it cause its paying my bills right now ...

6. Thats Great To Hear.anyone Ever See A Kingfisher?

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

??? :confused:
    I don't know but someone will report a puma or mountain lion in Ohio next...mark my words.. :rolleyes:

8. catking

catking Banned

What idiot would even post they saw a mountain lion.......GEEESH.......... Kingfisher ?? Yess, all the time down on the banks of the East Fork river... Fun to watch for sure..............:cool:................DA KING !!!

9. Great story – Thanks Buddy Punk

[​IMG]

10. catking

catking Banned

By the way members, the last passenger pigeon died at the Cincinnati Zoo in I believe 1904......... They have her ( Marta ) stuffed and on display in her own memorial . It really is humbling looking at her knowing there was BILLIONS of her kind , and it took man a few decades to wipe them out.....What a shame..... Anyways, she's cool to look at....THE CATKING !!!

11. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

Say wait a minute now, is a KingFisher related to a CATKING? :p

Just curious.............

12. i have never seen a moutain lion in ohio BUT one thing i have seen twice in the last two years is a bald eagle. most people dont beleive me but anyone who lives close to the whitewater river might have seen it too. it was the most breathtaking site i have ever seen. makes me proud to be an american.so if anyone is fishing or traveling between brookvile and the ohio river watch the sky.

13. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

There are around 90 or so nesting pairs of Bald Eagles in Ohio with many more juveniles and single birds. I see them frequently up at LaDue where there is a nest. I also occasionally see them at Congress Lake and Wingfoot lake in Portage and Stark County. There is a nesting pair nearby there too. The lake Erie shoreline has many pairs. They are making a slow, but steady comeback in Ohio. In a decade, I bet there will be dozens of pairs in southern Ohio as the species looks to reclaim suitable territory. DDT almost wiped them out.

14. Darwin

I got to see the story on CNN this morning about the Ivory billed WP. Seeing that bird in flight in the recent video was amazing.

Blue Pike thanks for adding that picture, I have seen the Pileated down in Athens and Jackson counties. The Pileated is crow sized just to give some people an idea of how big it is.

ARGEE, there was a kingfisher working along the western shoreline of Delaware during the crappie tourney. They are alot of fun to watch.

15. Darwin

I don't know for sure about this, I have seen a Kingfisher fish. I haven't got to see a Catking fish though? I was hoping to see the genuine "Catking" in action at Delaware but rumor is they are the "fair weather" type! ;) :p

16. Yes, I remember often seeing kingfishers flying the stretch of the Tuscarawas that runs through my parents' backyard, grabbing fish and such. Kinda neat about rediscovering the Ivory-billed woodpecker. (I wonder if they taste just like chicken!! lol) Seriously, it is always great to find that a species is tougher than we thought.

17. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Woodpecker Thought Extinct Rediscovered
    Thursday, April 28, 2005 4:22 PM EDT
    The Associated Press
    By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID

The ivory-billed woodpecker, once prized for its plumage and sought by American Indians as magical, was thought to be extinct for years. Now it's been sighted again and conservationists are exulting.

The striking bird, last seen in 1944, has been rediscovered in the Big Woods area of Arkansas, scientists and conservationists reported Thursday.

"This is thrilling beyond words ... after 60 years of fading hope that we would ever see this spectacular bird again," John W. Fitzpatrick, director of the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, said at a news conference.

Since early 2004 there have been several independent sightings, including one caught on videotape, of one or more of the birds, Fitzpatrick said.

That video of the bird's 3-foot wingspan and distinctive black-and-white markings confirmed the presence of the creature that seemed to have vanished after logging destroyed its habitat.

The discovery of living examples of an animal believed to be extinct is rare, said Tess Present, director of science at the National Audubon Society. "Wow," she said. "This is tremendous."

Interior Secretary Gale Norton said, "Second chances to save wildlife once thought to be extinct are rare. ... We will take advantage of this opportunity."

Norton and Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns promised millions of dollars in federal assistance to work with the state and local residents to protect this bird.

"Don't love this bird to death," Norton added, saying there has not been time to make plans for public access to view the bird.

Fitzpatrick's report was released by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, which is publishing the study in the journal Science, and also announced by the Nature Conservancy.

Alan Wormington of Ontario, Canada, said the discovery brought tears to his eyes. Wormington was part of a group that spent a month unsuccessfully trying to confirm reports of ivory billed woodpeckers in Louisiana in 2002.

"The implications are staggering," he said.

The ivory-billed woodpecker, one of the largest such birds in the world, is one of six North American bird species thought to have become extinct since 1880. The bird ranged widely across the southeastern United States at one time.

Once sought by Indians who believed that its bill possessed magical powers, the bird also was hunted for its feathers so they could adorn women's hats. Loss of habitat was its main threat, however.

The ivory bill _ sometimes called the white-back, pearly bill, poule de bois and even Lord God bird _ was known for the two-note rap of its bill as it ripped into tree bark in search of edible grubs and beetle larvae.

Fitzpatrick said it became known as the Lord God bird because people seeing it would exclaim "Lord God, look at that bird."

He said the researchers reported a similar reaction when they spotted it from a canoe last year. The woodpecker suddenly swooped in front and might even have landed on the canoe, but they all suddenly shouted: "Ivory bill!"

There have been anecdotal reports of the birds, but the last conclusive sighting in continental North America was in 1944, in northern Louisiana. A subspecies of the bird has been reported in Cuba.

With a 3-foot wingspan, the bird is larger than a pileated woodpecker, which is similar in appearance. Indeed, one of the researchers termed it a pileated woodpecker on steroids.

The Nature Conservancy, which has protected a large segment of land in Arkansas where the bird was spotted, reported that the first sighting came on Feb. 11, 2004, by Gene Sparling of Hot Springs, Ark.

Tim Gallagher of Cornell and Bobby Harrison of Oakwood College in Huntsville, Ala., then went to the area with Sparling and also saw the bird. Other sightings followed, including one on April 25, 2004, in which David Luneau of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock videotaped the bird taking off from the trunk of a tree.

___

On the Net:

Science: www.sciencemag.org

Nature Conservancy: www.tnc.org

Video clip of bird: wid.ap.org/video/woodpecker.mov

See more stories in this category
    Back to previous page
    This artist rendering provided by the journal Science shows the ivory-billed woodpecker.

Attached Files:

18. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I have been sighting bald eagles on Paint creek in Ross County for the last 2 years. Last year i found the nest of one in the Bainbridge area while floating when the leaves were off the trees. There is one by Higby bridge also. I saw one a total of 5 times last year. One was an immature eagle in the spring. It appeared to be that years hatch b/c it's head wasn't completely white.
    We also kept jumping up a mature eagle closer to alum cliff/st rt 772 one day as we would go around a bend it would be perched in a tree and it would take off. saw it 4 or 5 times that day on our way down stream. Still haven't seen one fish yet. They are amazing creatures, they make my heart pound everytime i see one. We have also been seeing alot of Ausprey. Another neat bird. ODNR did not have any reported nesting pairs in Ross county last year, but i disagree. I don't know what their daily range is but they have to be nesting somewhere in the county. anyone else spot eagles in the area?