Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mayflies are coming soon....saw my first one today...it always starts with one....get ready to start sweepin the porch boys!!

Mitch

·
Northcoast Madman
1,669 Posts
I was just going to make a post about the subject when I seen yours, I`ve got a bunch sticking to the screens....It has begun!!!! :(

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Does it have a negative impact on the walleyes' desire for stinger spoons or worm harnesses? This is my first year (virgin so to speak) on Erie so I don't know what to expect. I do know that an enormous mayfly hatch hit in the middle of our week in Lac Remigny Quebec last June and it pretty much shut down the bite for a couple days.

Maybe I just didn't know what tactics to use during a hatch....smaller, slower presentation? top surface weapons? Stay at camp and drink 8.1% Black Label in them 40 oz cans? Write postcards, call wife?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People will debate that all day...last year was a great year for eyes even with the hatch of flys...we troll spoons....alot will modify a harness and make it into a MayFly rig and do very well. http://www.cliftond.com/ go to that site to learn about mayfly rigs....its a wealth of info. and Deans one heck of a nice fella.

Mitch

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Like Shorebound said, everyone will have their own opinion on this. I can tell you that my very best day on Lake Erie was in the middle of the biggest mayfly hatch I have ever seen. There were huge mats of dead floating mayflies and every single cast you had to clean off your line, but I caught 13 walleye that day. That is when the limit was still 10 and there were 5 in my boat and we got 49. There were 2 other boats out in my group and everyone came close to getting a limit and most people were not very good fisherman, it was a company outing. The ones we were catching were stuffed full of mayflies, you cold see them when you looke in their mouth. I couldnt believe they were still hitting.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Can be hot fishing if the weather is stable. I prefer to use a weapon, a single hook harness with no more than a 1 inch piece of crawler end hooked. I prefer a small gold or firetiger blade and 1/2 to 1 oz of lead. Depending on the weather and waves, I have caught many limits on a splash count and also done good all the way to bottom, it all depends on how high up they are suspending and feeding. When it gets into the top 10 fow it makes casting fast and very effective as long as they are schooled up. Good luck.

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts