close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ITS GO TIME!! (I hope)

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Predator225, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

Well, this year instead of taking off to Florida fishing for grouper & tarpon, or going up to Maine to cast for stripers and bluefish; I have decided to take a week and fish exclusively for Flatheads. I am hereby giving a warning to all flatheads located in a certain body of water in southern Ohio --WATCH OUT, I am on my way, and i feel sorry for your jaw if i lock into you with my 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus hook (although i do guarantee a pleasant release after a quick picture). I have some catching up to do here (Robby, Magis, catfish hunter), and only seven days to do it. I hope to be posting some nice results a week from now.

2. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Predator

Hope you have success.

The channel cats will spawn soon so the males may be especially aggressive and give your flathead baits a hard time. ;)

You can get cues when you hear the carp beating the banks spawning the channel cats will follow in about a week. Once the channel cats start spawning it will only be 8 oor 9 days till the flathead are spawning hard.

The warm water is stressing our bluegills already and I fear we will soon have to start using expensive goldfish for bait.

You don't need to warn the flathead. They have already started to make everyone humble this year ;)

3. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

I hear ya about the bait, robby. A nice little vacation check and quarterly bonus will take care of the bait this weekend I HOPE.

If i can get through the weekend with at least one nice square-tail, with some jumbo channels as a bonus, i guess i cant really complain ;)

Carp started spawning last week up here in NE ohio. It is amazing how these things all follow each other like clockwork, year after year.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Robby,

I know it's hard to beleive, as I had a hard time beleiving it myself & this is the 1st I mentioned it to anyone, but last week my little girl caught a male channel that had it's tail in pretty rough shape. I tried telling myself it was bcasue she pulled it up from the rocks, but you never know......

5. Steelwolve

Steelwolve COCC- Director

I also caught a few channels at alum on 6-11-07 that appeared to be roughed up from spawining. Although I am not an expert at what exactly spawning marks look like, just what ive read.

6. flathead

flathead flathead

I have also had the same thing Melon

7. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

Well, that didnt go so well. Started off fishing wednesday night without a hit. Did not fish thursday or friday. Saturday went fishless again. Sunday got 4 flatheads, biggest was 14 lbs. definitley believe fish are on the beds. Went fishless again monday night. Oh well.

8. So what are the odds of my catching some decent flatheads this weekend at paint creek? Probably hopeless for me, you think they are on the beds??? opinions???????

9. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

From some of the noise i heaerd in the shallows this past weekend, i would say they are starting to go on the beds, plus one of the ones i caught looked like he'd been through a war already. Man, sounded like horses back in the bays and woodpiles. But, ya never know unless you try it! I personally dont fish for flatties when they are in peak spawn, but thats just a personal choice for me.