close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

It's Fresh Run Time !!!!

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by Fish On, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Went out yesterday and hit the creek about 11:00 am the water was pretty clear started out with the fly rod white sucker and lt. pink sucker spawn was the trick then I switched over to my centerpin and singles ended up hooking 9 landing 7... I really love this time of year as soon as you hook them they are right out of the water ...WHAT A BLAST !!!
    Will be hitting the creek tommorow , cant wait !!!

FISH ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Awsome looking fish man! Any chance you would let me know what creek you caught them from? I'm heading up this weekend and not sure where to go.

3. Try the Grand River

4. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Twistytie, go up and throw spoons off the light house breakwall on the Grand until your arm falls off, you'll get a few assuming the wind is OK that day. Last year I seen some knucklehead with about a 8-9lb walleye there too.

5. Fish On
    How do you cook your steelhead? I figure you must like them since you kept a couple.

Joel

6. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

The last steelie I ate tasted kinda crappy while the one I ate (same size) a few weeks prior to that was delicious and I fried both of them. I hear from a bunch of people that smoking them is the only way to go but I don't have a smoker.

I hope to get up to the lake in the coming weeks and bringing home a stringer full of them.

7. Is the Grand the same as Fairport Harbor?
    Yes smoked steelhead is the best in my book but they great on the grill with a little lemon pepper or season salt.

8. A couple of friends of mine smoke them, so I keep the fish for them , personally I dont like them , give me perch crappies and gills and walleye !!!!

9. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

yessir................

10. My neighbor did one on the grill with lemon pepper and butter and he loved it

11. I also noticed that he seems to keep a couple of fish. I have smoked steelhead and do not like it very much. The amount of bones in steelhead is amazing. Smoking the fish makes it peel right off but threw 'em back and let them grow.

12. fish on do u think u can post pics of the flys u used i am new to fly fishing and am starting to make my own but do not know what any of the names are

13. I will in the next day or so

14. Here are (SOME) of the flies I use when I go Steelheading .

15. Fish On
    What size are the nymphs?

Joel

16. #12 and #14 , I have some that are smaller for low and clear conditions

17. This is what I use and when

Size 12...murky - muddy
    Size 14...Prime conditions
    Size 16...coming off prime
    Size 18...Low and clear
    Size 20...OMG!!!..I can count there scales ...LOL!!!..Personally I do not use a #20 , you will get hook up's but your odds of landing a fish are slim and none they either straighten it or it pull's out .

18. them you always have to carry one of these size # 6 BIG MONSTER HONKING
    SUCKER SPAWN'S. when some comes up to you and asks you what the heck are you catching them on, you pull out one of these when it's low and clear .
    It's just fun to see the look on there face !!

19. Today Is a good day for tying