its almost time

Discussion in 'Stripers & Hybrids' started by livtofsh, Feb 19, 2009.

1. haven,t seen anything on this forum for a while. just thought i would ask if everyones ready for the run ? just need a little warm weather and it will be on:):)

2. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

Heck yea. I've noticed that most fisherman look more forward to the fall than the spring. Are the tactics any different? Keep an eye on those water temps. Please post here if you catch them moving up.

3. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

I'm definitely ready. I haven't been out much since last spring when the hybrid run was on. I think we are still at least a few weeks out, but the snow melt and rain had the water up enough, just need it to warm up a bit.

CW

4. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

Not on this end brother.... I live for the White Bass run each spring. Catching Whiteys and Hybrids on every other cast, all shapes and sizes. Sometimes two at a time... doesn't get much better than that! Not to mention every now and then getting a surprise fish like a cat, smallie, or spot.
    I even designed a new lure specifically for the White Bass run this year. Waiting for the river to hit 45 degrees....

5. i,m ready to, been keeping my casting arm in good shape. got a new arsonal of rod and reels this year to. any one ever fish mill creek any?

6. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

I fish Mill Creek because it's right behind my house. I hate to admit that. I live too far up the creek to catch wipers. I bet they will be there this spring. I home you practice catch are release because I wouldn't eat anything that came out of that water.

7. I will miss the whites this spring bigtime, they're a blast. plus I can get away with smaller tackle and bait in the spring and you get a real mixed bag of species. odd mentioning mill creek, I talked to a gentelman who electroshocks it.....it is apparently definantly worth fishing, though I wouldnt keep fish out of it if you paid me lol.
    any idea what the temps are yet, they'll hit the flooded mouths at 43 some years, I bet someones catching them already!!!

8. TeamPlaker

Lou,
    You're missing the run this year????
    Last I checked the water temps were about 40... but that was last week when the weather was warmer. I've seen ice start forming again in spots on the LMR, so I imagine it's dropped back down.

9. check the smaller ohio river trib mouths they get fish early, though 40 is aberdeen type temps
    jay I'm in ca doing salmon and steelhead work this year, so I have to trade WB for trout..but three hours away they get sea run striper so I may have to force myself to fish that a few times:B

10. TeamPlaker

Shoot... fair trade. Good luck out there!

11. but I'm sure they'll be in there, lot's of bait.....

[​IMG]

12. [​IMG] caught this last fall it was 34 inches long but kinda skinny it fought like a madman is it a striper or a wiper:)

13. im assuming your talking about the white bass run. if so where at? iv only known about one in maumee after walleye but would like to try at differnt place. thanks.

14. Liv2fish, if you check out the sticky at the top of this topic forum, it shows how to ID stripers and hybrids, that's a true stripe, nice for the Ohio River, I'm assuming?
    LMJ

15. Yes Chopper29, there is a White Bass runon the Ohio River.A few will be caught between now and the full run. I usually get a few in March, gets better in April but I target the Wipers starting the middle of April. May is a great time to get the Whites.Use the same tactics you used up North. Go to any dam or Trib. Actually the Whites can be caught all summer although not in the big numbers as Spring and Fall. Slow presentation early Spring because they're just warming up and faster in the Fall because of the abundance of baitand cooling water. White on a 5" Storm Shad

Attached Files:

16. Man, I love it when the water is over the walk like that, Dave, and that is a fine specimen of a White Bass there, you know it's a good one if it's after a 5" swim bait!

17. healthy looking fish,i,m hoppin to get out this week,in.

18. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

I am ready as well, The water is still a bit chilly hear around Milford but the water level is good as said earlier if we can keep the levels the way they are and some consecutive warm days I will be out looking. I know the guy Lou is talking about who does the shocking, he is a proud member of the Mill Creek Yacht Club. I think there might be up to 5 members now. He is a very interesting guy and knows his stuff. I have yet to hit the Mill but I understand its pretty darn good close to the river. Some have told me not to go down unarmed though;) Also spring verse's fall runs. I think it really depends on weather. THe conditions are more of a factor, example high fast mudding water in the spring run offs and flooding, conversely drought type conditions in the fall all effect the runs. So factor in the weather, water conditions, levels and that will be the difference between poor or excellent runs. I like the water levels we have right now just need to turn the burner on and warm em up a bit. S

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  19. Steve,
    I'd bring both arms, if you fall in you can swim better that way! :p
    Better Yet, catch a ride in a boat, you can stay out of harms way easier, barges are slow and you can hear them coming ! LOL!
    LMJ

20. is the mill hard to get to from the bank, and is there safe, close parking near by?