Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Yes i slept on the couch
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
those who have known me for a long time know that im a gear head and im always looking to make things better.. i get it from working as a mechanic/bodyman as well as taking part in the show car scene........ well i havent modified anything in a while and ive been wanting to find a way to make my Rhino RBC300 baitcasters a little smoother and free wheel easier......... IMO the only downside to these reels is that quantum put a brass bushing instead of a ball bearing on the side cover side of the spool... the reel is built with 2bb and 1 rollerbearing and theyve always been decently smooth considering the way they were designed (its counterpart the Quantum Icon was built with a ball bearing in the sideplate, but everything else is identical except for gearing)

well anyways i dropped my parents off at the airport this morning cause my dad is bowling in the USBC tournament in reno and when i came back, my brain was stuck in "Tinker Mode" so naturally i started fidgeting with my reels... well on my desk was sitting my Abu Garcia 521 XLT Plus baitcaster so i started to tinker with that and when i popped the spool out i noticed the bearing in the spool.......My friend Tom(Mbass8dor) gave me a parts reel and some extra spools sitting around for this abu so i have 5 of these spools sitting here.....

ANYWAYS i pop one of the bearing out of a spool and implant it into the sideplate of one of my rhino RBC300s.... it fits like a glove both in the sideplate and on the spool.... i pop the sideplate back on.... all the adjustments are still functional and everything.... except now the reel is A LOT smoother.... and free spools a lot easier.... everything fits together like it was engineered that way....(which it should have been ;) ) and i kid you not.... they are almost as smooth as my Shimano Curado DHSV.... not quite but close.... and a lot smoother then they originally were.... its like they are all new reels :D

anyways... i was just excited about how well my first reel hot rodding came out and i thought id share... eventhough now my 521 XLT Plus doesnt have any spare spools now.... but that why i took the parts i needed from the parts reels ;)
heres pics :D;)

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
That's pretty cool Sonic. My buddy Jig has some Rhinos and he is a gear head too. I'll have to make sure he sees this.

·
Yes i slept on the couch
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also the spool bearing from a 321 plus will work as well... i had one of those too.... now i just need this rain to clear up and everything so i can get out and see how much better they are :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts