close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

It is hard to say Goodbye

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shortdrift, Nov 26, 2008.

1. I'm here in my office with Daisy, my loyal friend and companion for fourteen years laying next to me. Later this afternoon I will take Daisy to the Vet for the last time. Daisy has cancer that has now spread into her lungs and it has taken it's terrible toll so I know what has to be done is the last help I can give her in stopping the pain. She still slowly follows me through the house but has stopped eating for three days and only drinks a lot of water. As I sit here dreading what has to be done I remember the following poem which truly sums it up.

If It Should be..........

If it should be I grow frail and weak And pain prevents my peaceful sleep

Then you must do what must be done When this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand Selfishness might stay your hand

But on this day, more than the rest, Your love and friendship take the test.
    We've had so many happy years

That what's to come can hold no fears

You'd not want me to suffer So,
    When the time comes please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend. Only stay with me until the end.

Hold me firm and speak to me. Until my eyes no longer see.

I know, in time, you, too, will see its a kindness you do for me
    Although my tail it's last has waved
    From pain and suffering I've been saved
    Do not grieve it should be you who must decide this thing to do

We've been so close, we two, these years....... Don't let your heart hold any tears
    =====================================

I will always remember all the joy Daisy and I brought into each others life and the love we shared.

2. Sorry you will be losing your buddy. Even though you know it has to happen it does not make it any easier.

3. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

:(

My heart goes out to you. I'm sitting here at work tearing up.

Brings back memories of friends I've had to help in the past.

I've never forgot those days, or the feelings...

Sometimes, you have to help them along to get some rest.

You've got to feel all our buddies are hanging around somewhere waiting for us to join up with them again.....

:( :( :(

4. Sorry for your loss my friend, but we both know your doing the right thing
    my thoughts are with you

5. Yep I have been in the same exact spot as you a few years back. We had a black lab that was the greatest pet companion anyone could ask for. He too was stricken with cancer and it took him rather quickly. His lungs were filling up as it sounds like is the case with Daisy. I still remember the last hours so clearly. We stewed over the thought that we were going to have to take him in the next morning. We all knew it was the right thing to do at that stage. He could barely move from one room to the next but he managed to walk from our bedroom into the living room and collapse and take his final breath. It was as if he didn't want to do it in front of us. He took a big burden off us in that we did not need to take him in to the vet. So I do know exactly how you feel. It is in no way easy.

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ron,again i'm sorry to hear about daisy.but i know too,how it hurts to watch a companion suffer so much.

so long daisy.

Attached Files:

7. Sorry to hear about your loss..they are truly the best friends a guy can have, I tell my little guy that every day...you and me are best friends aint we.

8. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Sorry to hear about this loss Ron, sad news indead. Our family has been there a few times..I know the feeling. In time it will get better remember all the good times you had...believe it or not it does help. Talk to you soon bud. Kevin

9. BIGGUNS

BIGGUNS SFC-ARMY

My Heart Goes Out To You Also , I Have Had To Put Down Two Of My Best Friends Also A Few Years Back. And It Was Cancer , They Were Some Of The Best German Sheperds I Have Ever Had . I Know It Sucks But You Will See Them Again Someday . An Till Then They Will Be With You In Spirt. I Totaly Understand ,my Prayers Are With You . I Am So Sorry...........Ron W.

10. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

ron, cant say it any better than that.

11. Stretch

Stretch Wishin I was fishin

Sorry to hear about your loss Ron, it is never easy losing a best friend. I also lost one to cancer about a year ago, now I just try to keep the happy memories with me...

12. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe (stcroixjoe)

Ron,Sorry to hear that ,you know you are doing whats right

13. Juls

Juls Charter Captain

It's so very sad when this day comes. There are no words that will make it any easier.
    The heart feels what it feels, and only time can mend the heartbreak it feels at a moment like this.
    I know I don't have to tell you it's the right thing to do, because you already know that.
    You're a good friend to your little buddy, and she knows that too.
    Best wishes Shortdrift...and know this...

"There is no psychiatrist in the world, like a puppy licking your face"...(Ben Williams)

So, when the time is right, the fastest way to heal that hole in your heart, is to give another little furball a much needed home. :)

There are only so many "good" dog parents out there, and you obviously are one of them!

I wish you well Shortdrift...sleep well, knowing you did what was BEST (not the easiest) for your best friend.

She put her trust and love in you and you came through...there's nothing more that could be asked of you.

Juls

14. Sorry for your loss it's been almost two months since I put Jack down And I still look for him next to the bed at night, it's not an easy thing to do and my heart goes out to you I know how you feel, gods speed Daisy :(

15. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Sorry for your loss.

16. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Daisy was a great dog. Sorry for your loss.

[​IMG]

17. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

We recently went through this same tough time. That is a very difficult trip to make to that vet's office.
    Thoughts and prayers to you Ron.

Brian

18. Sorry to hear about your dog Daisy. Take heart in your memories of the many times good times with her which will last forever.

19. Sorry for your loss Ron. She sure was a good dog.

20. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I'm so sorry Ron, I feel your pain. Just choked up too, thats a tremendous poem- thanks.