close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

It Felt Good To Hit The Smallmouth Again!

Discussion in 'Bass Discussions' started by H2O Mellon, May 25, 2008.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Well, today I hit part of Salt Creek w/ my wife, daughter and one of my boys. I haven't really fished there for aprox 12 years. Man, today ALMOST made me rethink this whole Catfish thing. :) I ended up cathing several nice smallies, while the wife picked up a ton of pumpkin seeds.

I was using popeye jigs w/ 4 # test, Pinnacle "Tiny" on a Berkley Cherrywood rod (sort of like the ultra of ultra light equipment and basically just above throw away tackle). Even though we were using the cheap stuff, man I had a blast. The largest smallie wa aprox 13 1/2 inches, but that's a very nice Salt Creek smallie. I guess it was 2#'s...??? (someone correct me, if that estimate is way off)

It's been a VERY long time since I went bass fishing for fun, but we had a blast!

2. . I guess it was 2#'s...??? (someone correct me, if that estimate is way off)

I'd say1.25-1.5 but i bet he fought like a 3 pounder!

3. I was trying a stream I normally frequent for smallies and they were all on beds. They were alot bigger fish there then normal, lol so I really wanted to try to coax a bite but no luch, It didnt matter what I threw, they wanted nothing to do with it.

But the rockbass were on in a big way, and they were also all hogs, much bigger then the rockys we normally pull out of those holes, so it kind of made up for it.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Thanks for correcting me. It's been a while since I've estiamted Smallie weight.

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

lol come on Brian, 13 inches and 2lbs :D

Smallie fishing is a helluva lot of fun man, I'de be lying if countless catfishing hours havn't been spent fishing for them. Largemouths, for the record in my opinion, are only fun to catch as bait :D