close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IT certification?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rooster, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Yea, I know that this is a fishing site, and I hate to start talking shop. However, I’m looking to change employers within the next year. I know that many members on this site work in the IT field, others are business owners, and I value everyone’s input.
    I have been with the same company for the last seven years (working as a network administrator for the last three years), and I’m really out of touch with what employers are looking for in a prospective employee. My present company does not place any emphasis on certification, but I realize that many companies now require certification for IT positions. I want to add a few certifications to my resume, and make myself more marketable. What certifications would you suggest? I’m planning on giving myself about a month to prepare for a Cisco exam (CCNA). After that I’m thinking about either a Red Hat exam (RHCE), or a similar generic linux exam (Linux +).

Thanks!

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

CCNA is great to have, and MSCE's and CNE's still carry weight if that's the kinda house you are applying for. Definitely get your CCNA first. It's universal.

3. Rooster, Linux is a great path right now, but it also depends on if you want to stay strictly in networking. You might also consider broadening your horizons a little as well. There are some COTS products that have huge demand for certified professionals, such as SAP (www.sap.com). These would require taking your networking skills and adding a second skill to them, such as J2EE, messaging, etc.

4. I agree with shakedown, get your CCNA and you will always at least get an interview with any company. Where are you from Rooster? Send me your resume and I can turn it in here at AEP in Columbus.

5. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

there pushing for us to get it at work. in the past 6 months cisco has really made it more difficult to get the cert. the book use to be one, now it is 2 books and are twice as thick as the one use to be. i also believe it is 2 test now, sorta geared up like the ccnp cert. alot of people that have past the old test are now failing the new one so they must have changed the criteria some.

hell where im at, finding the information to get on the router is harder then "routing" itself... :D

6. I think that work experience is more heavily weighted than certifications but that depends on the position your applying for and the company.

If it were a consulting firm your going to target they seem to favor certifications since they can market you better if your a certified consultant. If your working for an IT Department and you have experience then I don't feel certifications are absolutely necessary but then again each company is different. I also think it depends on the area, if it's a job in a big city it seems like they have more people to choose from and the certification might help get you in the door.

I know our company doesn't pay anything more for people with certifications vs. people without. If I were hiring you I'd look more at your experience than what certifications you have. Anyone can take a test...

7. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Bill is correct about the experience, however if there are two guys with identical experience and one has certs the other doesn't, the job will go to the guy with certs.

Where I work, experience and certs outweigh degrees.

8. I have a CISA and a CISSP. I just changed jobs a couple weeks ago. I learned a few things during this transition.

#1 Certifications will get you interviews.
    #2 Professional associates (friends) will get you a good job.

I am where I am because of a friend of a friend, but he would have never seen my resume if I didn’t have a CISSP and a CISA.

As for your certs and job change follow the following steps
    1.Figure out what you want to do.
    2.Go to Monster.com and find out what that job requires (If you don’t find multiple listings for what you want to do, you know it is going to be an uphill battle.
    3.Get the certs or job experiences to fit that job.

9. Not sure where you're located but if you've got the time & money for intensive study here's the place I went to pick up a few certs when I was between jobs a few years ago. Their facility here in Columbus is top notch.
    http://www.techskills.com/main.asp

10. I received my ccna by taking the newer 640-807 exam and prepared by attending Cisco's networking academy. I am currenty pursuing my ccnp and Sun Solaris certs. I would recommend a lot more than a month for the new ccna; believe it or not it's pretty brutal with new things added like Vlsm, Cidr, Ipv6, vlans, wan protocols etc. If you can't subnet in your head real fast it would be hard to pass the ccna.