Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And it has been real fun. I’ve lived just south of Dayton for the last 4 years and have really enjoyed the lakes and rivers in this area of the state, but after finishing my degree it’s sad to say that I’m moving a little further up north and won’t be able to hit the lakes and rivers I’ve grown so accustomed to as often. I was lucky enough to catch my personal best large and smallmouth bass this spring before my departure, and man, does that make it hard to leave. Instead of fishing the GMR, now I’ll have to make due with smaller creeks and the Auglaize. And instead of Cowan and Caesar Creek, it’ll be more city reservoirs.

I’ll still be lurking this forum and living vicariously through all of your photos and stories, and I just wanted to say the Southwest forum has been great and I thank you all for the great discussions.
Sorry for the book, but I’m just really going to miss this area! If you made it this far, enjoy a few photos, all public water.

PB largemouth (weight wise) - 20.5” x 6lb 5.5oz
62DA3D97-2F37-4B02-AB5D-B24A27C47086.png

PB river smallmouth - roughly 21”+, no weight but it had to be over 5
3738F6D5-5F82-4CBC-9517-F855EBC04CFA.jpeg

My PB smallmouth was also my first ever double, the “smaller” one was still 17-18”, and the kicker, it was on one of my homemade lures!!
24CA9C9D-E66B-420B-B25E-53EEAB9C887F.png

I got back into lure making and caught some 19” smallmouth and 4lb largemouth on my homemades
904FBD1E-A01D-4D72-8ED5-18092CBCDF81.jpeg

A2672F4B-63EA-4F4F-9CD1-9107D14EAAA0.png

I even caught a Fish Ohio channel cat, on a homemade topwater!
2AD9F82A-4BC8-4DE0-94CF-5F29B872D2CE.jpeg

8.5lb drum
55AFDB56-1E0F-4F94-9B64-CF1E65FA7AB1.jpeg

and finally, this 20lb+ flathead while bass fishing
16DBEDBB-882A-4AAC-985B-DCAFC1A5F938.jpeg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to see ya go but have fun and enjoy exploring the new waters.
Good luck and good fishing !
If your nic is Gar Hater I just got it and started laughing. I was down in Fl with a buddy one year. Two casts, two alligator gar on a rapala. Buddy figured we northerners didn't know how to take a fish off. So I let him be nice. GAR BIT HIM BETWEEN THE THUMB AND THE POINTER he dropped the Rapala and that hooked his other hand, Blood all the heck over the place. HE WAS FINE WHICH IS WHY IT'S FUNNY. But always good to remember NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED,

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
If your nic is Gar Hater I just got it
It was kinda meant as garhunter as I enjoy fishing for them with my flyrod but without the "n" most people assume I hate gar :D
Never had a shot at an alligator gar but my son just moved to Texas and I'm planning a visit soon and I'm definitely packing my flyrod and hopefully will have some time to fish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It was kinda meant as garhunter as I enjoy fishing for them with my flyrod but without the "n" most people assume I hate gar :D
Never had a shot at an alligator gar but my son just moved to Texas and I'm planning a visit soon and I'm definitely packing my flyrod and hopefully will have some time to fish.
Used to live on St. John USVI. Had a lovely Orv Saltwater setup for bonefish and "little sharks" off the flats.
It's great fun until Mama Shark got home from work and then it was run faster than my buddy to the mangroves. HAVE FUN WE ONLY GET ONE TRIP AROUND.

·
Registered
732 Posts
And it has been real fun. I’ve lived just south of Dayton for the last 4 years and have really enjoyed the lakes and rivers in this area of the state, but after finishing my degree it’s sad to say that I’m moving a little further up north and won’t be able to hit the lakes and rivers I’ve grown so accustomed to as often. I was lucky enough to catch my personal best large and smallmouth bass this spring before my departure, and man, does that make it hard to leave. Instead of fishing the GMR, now I’ll have to make due with smaller creeks and the Auglaize. And instead of Cowan and Caesar Creek, it’ll be more city reservoirs.

I’ll still be lurking this forum and living vicariously through all of your photos and stories, and I just wanted to say the Southwest forum has been great and I thank you all for the great discussions.
Sorry for the book, but I’m just really going to miss this area! If you made it this far, enjoy a few photos, all public water.

PB largemouth (weight wise) - 20.5” x 6lb 5.5oz View attachment 469399
PB river smallmouth - roughly 21”+, no weight but it had to be over 5 View attachment 469398
My PB smallmouth was also my first ever double, the “smaller” one was still 17-18”, and the kicker, it was on one of my homemade lures!! View attachment 469401
I got back into lure making and caught some 19” smallmouth and 4lb largemouth on my homemades
View attachment 469403
View attachment 469407
I even caught a Fish Ohio channel cat, on a homemade topwater! View attachment 469404
8.5lb drum
View attachment 469406
and finally, this 20lb+ flathead while bass fishing View attachment 469408
The Auglaize river has some excellent fishing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Up around the Lima area
We (at least I) would welcome updates on the upper GMR and Indian Lake as I'm always tempted to get up there but its just a little too far from Dayton for an "on a whim" trip. And of course you'll be just a skip away from Erie and there are so many options up that way... Good luck!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We (at least I) would welcome updates on the upper GMR and Indian Lake as I'm always tempted to get up there but its just a little too far from Dayton for an "on a whim" trip. And of course you'll be just a skip away from Erie and there are so many options up that way... Good luck!
I did plan on trying out the GMR up north since I’ve never been on it north of Dayton. Once I do I’ll post about it. I would also like to check out Indian also since I heard it’s the clearest it’s ever been and I haven’t been there in probably 10 years.

·
Registered
243 Posts
We have some good quality fishing in the resivours here in lima. Little tough to figure out and fish but once you figure it out there are quality fish and some trophies lurking around... indian is fun if you can find the fish and figure them out.. auglaize has some killer smallies in it

·
Registered
23 Posts

PB largemouth (weight wise) - 20.5” x 6lb 5.5oz View attachment 469399
PB river smallmouth - roughly 21”+, no weight but it had to be over 5 View attachment 469398
My PB smallmouth was also my first ever double, the “smaller” one was still 17-18”, and the kicker, it was on one of my homemade lures!! View attachment 469401
View attachment 469403
View attachment 469407
I even caught a Fish Ohio channel cat, on a homemade topwater! View attachment 469404
8.5lb drum
View attachment 469406
and finally, this 20lb+ flathead while bass fishing View attachment 469408
BTW the fish are lovely. HOWEVER I THINK CONGRATS FOR FINISHING A DEGREE IN THE LAST YEAR DESERVES PROPS AS WELL.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts