Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who fish the western basin islands, I am wondering if casting from shore is productive? I know those fall walleyes are coming in close to feed on the shad but not sure the patterns or movements around the islands compared to main land. Is it possible to catch walleye from shore on the islands? If so, are jerkbaits the way to go or are there better options?

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Yes walleyes are caught from shore on many islands if not all. Minnow lures (jerk baits) slow rolled is the std procedure. Huskys, ripsticks shallow bombers, heck I've caught them on $1.98 Walmart lures. Best areas are windy sides, points with current, or jetty tips. Public fishing areas are not real common.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Fall is the time if you are fishing from shore. I have been picking them up all year actually but fall is the classic time for shore eyes pretty much everywhere.
Don't overlook rattletrap style lures, they are a great search bait and often connects with the fish as they move in.

·
Registered
813 Posts
For those who fish the western basin islands, I am wondering if casting from shore is productive? I know those fall walleyes are coming in close to feed on the shad but not sure the patterns or movements around the islands compared to main land. Is it possible to catch walleye from shore on the islands? If so, are jerkbaits the way to go or are there better options?
Ice fishing buddies on PIB have started to pick up a few at night on the usual suspects, blue chrome Ripsticks, Tennesse shad Husky Jerks, Smithwicks, etc. Will get better as the lake cools down. Same reports on Kelleys. Goodluck.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Remember to slow your retrieve down as the water cools down. When water temps get down to 50-55 degrees is when they will really be putting on the feed bag-try to get out as much as you can and I am sure you will be on some nice fish. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts