close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this far enough below the bottom of the boat

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fishintiger, May 14, 2005.

1. I was just wondering if my motor sat far enough below the bottom of my boat. I know if they are too short or too long then it can cause handling problems. Are my motors deep enough?
    [​IMG]
    Sorry it's not a great picture.
    Here is one from off to the side if shows a little better.
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. I think it's good, the cavitation plate is below the hull!

3. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

I'd be more concerned because it looks like if you had the trolling motor turned left and the motor turned right your props would hit. All it would take is to forget to straighten them, to ruin your day on the water. Maybe they will clear, but by the picture it looks close.

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

You'll have a better idea once you run it. If the bow plows the water, you'll know you have it too low.

cb brings up a good point. those two do look close enough to hit from the pics.

5. Also be careful when attaching trailer to vehicle,
    Lift too high on unlevel grade and motors will hit the ground.

And you might need a transom saver if the engine is heavy.

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I'm thinking the power motor is too low. I thought the bottom of the cativation plate is supposed to be even with the bottom of the hull. If so, then you are 3-4" too low. I'm no expert, but I think that's right. If it's below, then it creates a drag in the water, also it looks to me if you hit a bump, you are going to hit your motor. Ditto on what was said about the close proximity of the trolling motor. Probably won't be a problem so long as you have the one not in use tilted up, but then it might be in your way when up too. Always something, huh ??
    I think the trolling motor is just right, having it deep will allow you to turn it all the way around without hitting the transom.

7. Thanks for the info guys. I will have to check and see if they will hit if turned into eachother. I had moved the trolling motor over to the right more because if I left it where I had it, it would hit the outboard if I left it in the water. I don't think that I would have the outboard in the water while I'm using the trolling motor but then again I haven't had it out when the fish were biting and I was in a hurry to move. When I trailer the boat, both motors are tilted up so they won't hit the ground.

8. Mrfishohio is right, the anti-cavitation plate should be level, or slightly above the bottom of the boat. Handling won't be an issue, but it will create drag. Might as well get everything you can out of it.

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

hard to tell,with the different angles of the pics.first one looks close,but the second makes it look too low :confused:
    either way,as some said,the cavitation plate should be pretty much even with the bottom of the hull.as for the electric,i know you don't have room to move it far,and it may not drop eneough to clear the outboard,so just be more careful than me.i have the same problem with mine,and am always bangin' the prop on the outboard :rolleyes:
    if you need help,to do some adjusting,let me know.you know where i live :)

10. Thanks Misfit and M.Magis. I will try to get another picture tonight. What would the best angle be to take another picture? What about from the side? I can lower the trolling motor a little farther if I need to. I might have to go over to Home Depot and get a piece of wood to put under the clamp on the outboard for a temporary fix.

11. How much difference will it really make with a small motor? I just have a 7.5 horse motor, should I be to concerned about if its too high or too low?

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

shane,with that motor,and the weight of your boat,i'm not sure how much difference it will make overall,but for best possible performance,i'd want it as close as possible.

13. 10-4, thanks. Should have the motor running this week and hopefully go for a test ride this weekend.

14. Just wondering if I put a block of wood under the clamp will that cause any kind of problem with the motor? I imagine as long as the clamps aren't at the very top of the transom then it should be fine right?

15. I agree with those who say that your prop is too low. I would look at some way to raise it as well. Just be careful if you are thinking about simply putting a block in as a spacer and clamping high on the transom. The motor puts a good it of stress on the transom when running and the last thing you want to happen is to have the thing slip loose from the transom and become fishing structure for someone else.:eek: You may be able to do what you mentioned for a couple of inches change but make sure that your transom is up to the challenge. If the transom is not real strong you could have someone make you a piece out of metal to put over the transom for added strength while at the same time bringing the top of the transom enough to do the trick. But anything you do in that respect make sure that it is done in a way that can be changed again in the event that you end up with a different motor that varies in length.

16. Thanks for the tip. That is exactly what I was thinking about. My trasom SHOULD be strong enough since I just replaced it with 3/4" treated plywood inside and a 12"x12" block on the outside. If you look in the second picture you see a pin. I moved it up a hole and it adjusted the way the lower unit sits. I will get a picture with it in a couple of different positions and see which looks best.