Is this chicken of the woods?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by montagc, May 15, 2018.

1. montagc

montagc Always an inch shy

49466C22-22DA-4BA2-AE9A-B91721EDA7E1.jpeg I have a half pound bag to cook if it is. I’m 99% sure but what do the masses say? I’ve never found any before.

2. I was under the impression it was harvested in the fall, and was a bright orange, but never picked any.

3. Yes it’s the chicken. the underside should have tiny pores. I believe brighter colors in the fall. They should grow year to year on same log or area.

montagc likes this.
  4. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

The color isn't quite right, but they sure do look like chickens. I've never found them any other time but late Summer early Fall around here. Have you had a lot of rain lately? I found meadows popping in late Spring during a particularly wet time.

I have found 2 species of chickens in Ohio, Laetiporus cincinnatus (see my avatar), and Laetiporus sulfureus (see below)

DSCN0224.JPG
    If you have a 1/2 lb bag, please don't eat it all at once. Cut a couple of slivers, fry them up, eat a few bites and check for reactions. Even polypores that are known to be safe to eat can cause a negative reaction in some folks. Gastrointestinal distress!

montagc likes this.
  5. montagc

They are bright yellow underneath. I only skipped a few here and there, I’m not greedy and wasn’t quite sure if I was correct. Are there any poisonous lookalikes?

6. There are some but they have gills underneath and not tiny pores.

7. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

This is dead wrong! Please don't listen to this guy! Beepum is an idiot! Chickens have pores underneath and not gills!

8. I believe Beepum answered the question correctly. The bad boys have gills underneath not pores. I think you misunderstood the way the question was put.

montagc and Saugeye Tom like this.
  9. He was saying the lookalike/false chickens have gills!

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    montagc and Saugeye Tom like this.
  10. montagc

11. montagc

How do I store it for use tomorrow eve? Frig in sealed bag?

12. Damn dude, sounds like you are dead set on eating those. Maybe you should go with someone who hunts them first. I’m sure these guys know what they are talking about but 2nd hand knowledge going off a picture would be too risky for me. Just an opinion.

9Left and AtticaFish like this.
  13. I bet you wouldn’t call me that in person. So why on a public forum?

Saugeye Tom, chumthrower and bobk like this.
  14. Got some real goofballs around here...

15. I enjoy wild mushrooms, I know 5 or 6 different species based upon years of experience. I will not even consider picking mushrooms I donot know. You obviously donot know this species, why ingest something that could cause liver damage or death. Coming to a public forum and asking if it is OK to eat a mushroom you are not familiar with, could have grave consequences. Read , study, take a course, spend time with an experienced hunter. Donot ask for advice on a public forum from people who MAY know even less than you do. The reward does not match the risk.

ress likes this.
  16. Sure look like chickens to me but I also have not found them this early in the year but they can grow now if conditions are right. Have seen some videos on youtube of spring chickens.

AtticaFish and montagc like this.
  17. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Those sure look like the mock oysters I found last year, plus, isn't it too early for chickens?

[​IMG]

Saugeye Tom likes this.
  18. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Definitely chicken. I've never found any before july...pretty cool!

montagc likes this.
  19. montagc

Thanks for everyone's input. No gills, I'm sure its safe but I'll try small pieces to start. I've been wanting to find and try some of these for a while. It's been pretty warm and muggy where I found these. Same place I get my ramps.

AtticaFish likes this.
  20. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Cool. Yeah, the mock oysters have gills.

montagc likes this.