close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this a scam

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JLeo, Aug 23, 2007.

1. I advertised an item for sale on craigslist.com and recieved this email:

Hello Seller,

This is Mrs Rebbeca from Washington Missouri.We
    are an agent for a used products brokers.I will
    like to know if you still have the musical Instrument
    available
    for sale as adveritised on craigslist?If so can
    you advise me more with the present conditon.Do you
    still have some more musical Instrumen for sale?If so
    list
    them for me.Also can you confirm the final price for
    me.I will also be making the shipping arrangement by
    sending a courier service to your place for the
    pick up once you receive the payment for the
    purchase.

I will be awaiting you soonest.
    My Regards to you.
    Mrs Rebbeca.

I replied with this:

This Piano is still available, it has some imperfections (which you can see in these photos) from moving over the years but is in excellent shape for its age. It works very well and sounds great. Its yours for $1,500. I dont have any other musical instruments for sale.

and then recieved this email:

Thanks very much for your response.The reason I am sending you this email is to make final reconfirmation of the Musical Instrument which is okay by me,and also to let you know that payment will be by cashier's check.

Regarding the shipping, I have a company that takes care of the pickup of my consignments for me and ship to my destination in Missouri.

I also want to alert you on the fact that you will be receiving an overdraft check, which will cover the money for the pickup of all my congighnments in many regoins and your cost of sale. So please, as soon as you receive the Cashier's check and cash the check then deduct the money that is meant for the sale and then send the balance to the shipping company that handles the shipment by Money Gram Transfer agent to the shipping agent director.

The check will be issued in your name.I will give you the details of the company that will be shipping the Musical Instrument and my other goods as soon as we seal this deal. Here are some of the details I will need for final issuance of the check to you.

(1) Full Name
    (2) Mailing address, no p.o.box please
    (3) your direct telephone number both home and cell.?
    {4} Acceptance of my offer
    Once you get back to me with all the above, the check will be issued out tomorrow.Hope to hear from you immediately.Looking forward to your swift response

I will also be offering you extra $30 for keeping the Musical Instrument for me till the shipper comes for the pick up.
    I will be looking forward to your swift response.
    Regards

It doesnt seem like there is no harm in making this agreement, but it sounds to good to be true. The email claims to be from Mrs. Rebecca an agent for a used products brokers. It doesnt say a full name or a company name so I think this somehow is some sort of scam.
    I have also recieved another email very similar to this one from somebody else.
    What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is this:

I will like to know if you still have the musical Instrument
    available for sale as adveritised on craigslist.
    Why not say piano ? Looks like a form letter.

Wait till the check clears before proceeding. Doesn't seem like they are asking for too much at this point. But my guess is that your not going to get a check till you send them all sorts of "other" things (info).

3. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Dude sorry but it is a scam. You cash the check, you send them the left over and then WHAM!! The cashiers check you had turns out to be fake and YOU gotta pay who ever cashed it the $. Stay away from stuff like this, if it is to good to be true.....guess what.....it is. UNLESS of course you are buying something from me!:D

4. Scam...............Kinda like the I have money but cant get to it scam. You cash the check they get your stuff, you give the pickup guys some of the cash and there gone. Check bounces and the bank comes after you. The beauty of craigslist is you can list something and sell it locally, no shipping, no paypal just face to face transactions. If it were me I would pass on this.

5. scam.
    whenever I list on craigslist I specifically say no courier's and no delivery trucks.
    the others are correct. the check will bounce, you won't get your money, you don't have your goods, and you have to pay a penalty for a bounced check.

you LOSE!

6. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

7. Just email her back and tell here her shipping agent can pick it up in 10 to 15 days when her check clears the bank, you will never here from her again, Scam

8. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

I thought I would help ya out with this, I called her and she said to just give me her cut.:D

9. I would say its a scam as well, I am a member of a couple different hunting/gun forums, they have a classified section as well, these same sorta offers get sent to members there as well, one circulated around one board a month or two ago and got sent to several different members who had items listed for sale, if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

10. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

That scam has been around since the dawn of the internet.

11. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

without a doubt...YOU WILL LOSE IN THIS DEAL. have no further contact with these people. send tham nothing. no personal info, no cash...nothing.

12. Go to EBay click on Community , then click on discussions. Go to seller central. This SCAM is old as the hills and somebody tries to work it everyday. Like the others have told you have no further contact with these people.

Stop and think if the check is GOOD her " represenative could easily cash it. This way you are on the hook for the entire amount and you are out one piano. Do not let your desire to sell cloud your normal instincts.

13. Justin S

Justin S c-ya on the water

I too believe it is a scam, however if the check is a cashiers check drawn on a bank, then it cannot bounce, i believe that it is some sort of money laundering scheme so the authorities cannot trace the money.

14. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

its a scam because i just got this one in a email just a little while ago because my boat is listed on craigslist
    Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 01:52:58 +0100
    From: "lora smith" <nahcotex101@gmail.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    Subject: 1977 14 FT MIRROCRAFT ALUMINUM BOAT FOR SALE - $1500
    To: sale-402766727@craigslist.org
    ** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
    ** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
    ** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
    ** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

--
    Hello,
    I saw your Ad on CL and would love to have your item if it's still available for sale...however i would like to add that i am okay with the condition and the pics as well and i have a shipper,so
    therefore, my shipper would come over for the pick-up at your location as soon as the check must have cleared from your bank,but i would like to have your contact address where payments would be sent out to,and to whom....and i will be issueing you a Bank Certified Check as my mode of payment.
    Get in touch ASAP...
    Regards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    this message was remailed to you via: sale-402766727@craigslist.org

15. Scam. I've seen this before. Steer clear!

16. nevermind all that!! - never trust a woman that says things like 'I will be awaiting you soonest.'
    :D

17. I had even a better deal in my e-mail this morning. I will be assisting some poor attorney guy in Lome Togo who is having problems liquidating a 10.5 million dollar estate. I feel so fortunate that he picked me to help him out.:D:D:p

18. As a previous fraud analyst for a major US bank....this is a scam. Fake check. Craigslist is a cesspool of fraudulent activity. Be very careful using it.

19. I had one of these when I was selling Jeep parts on a different site. I told them to send the check!
    When the check arrived I called the bank that it was drawn on and told them I thought I had a fake Bank Check, I first thing they said was the use Bank Drafts NOT Checks. It even had the proper name on the check for the bank manager.
    I didn't tell the buyer that I checked on the check. I emailed them and told them that I did cash the check and what should I do with all this extra money. They replied that I should Western Union it to their agent ASAP. I wrote back telling them that I would just give the extra to the shipper, boy they didn't like that.
    I told them that I needed the item out ASAP and to make sure they got it out fast I would hold the extra money until pick-up. I also told them to hurry because I didn't like having all that extra cash sitting around.
    They replied with "dint joke with me, send moneys ASAP". They also asked for my phone number, I gave it to them.
    They even called and left a message. I emailed back and told them if they didn't pick it up with in 3 day that I would sell item to other party's and keep all the money for my trouble. They emailed back saying that they needed the extra money to pay the shipper and please send it ASAP. I gave in and emailed back telling them I knew it was a scam and did they think I was as dumb as they looked? Needless to say they never emailed back.

I say have a blast with them! Tell'em to send the check, if you dint want to give them your address give them the address to your local police. Tell'em you cashed the check and have all the extra money and will give it to them when they pick up the item. Let them spend the money to send the check to you, they are usually from over seas, so let them spend their money. If they want your phone number give them the number to the police. Have fun, let the joke be on them.

20. cripes, stuff like that blows my mind....great story.