close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this a good buy?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by peple of the perch, Jun 10, 2008.

1. I am sorta shoping for a larger boat motor, so I can take my boat onto lake erie. I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 longshaft Evenrude 40 hp tiller motor for $1200. It was only used for duck season a few times and has only around 35 hours of use on it. the guy bought it new in 97 and got a new boat in 2000. so he did not need the motor any more. It has been sitting in his garadge for the past 7-8 years. Does this sound good? Also if I go to check outhe motor what should I look for in it?

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

id say its a good buy if your going to replace the impeller, plugs, plug wires, fuel pump diaphram, all fuel lines, fuel filters, cooling lines, well lets just say anything rubber. 7 or 8 years is a long time for a motor to be sitting. did he fog the cylinders? if you plan on going on erie, get a reliable rig. offer him $800 and explain about having to replace everything to make it erie ready. dont forget to drain the lower unit and look for metal shavings. check around the heads and look for a crusty substance(dried cooling water residue) around the head gasket area. this is what id do, someone else might do it differently. did i mention rebuilding the carb?

3. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

That sounds like a good deal to me. I know first hand used 40hp longshaft tiller motors don't grow on trees! I ended up finding one in Iowa after looking for about 6 months. The one that used to be on that boat was a 1993, I sold for $1200 and the guy came all the way from Kentucky to buy it. If the deal on the 40 falls thorugh that boat did fine on Erie with a 25hp also, those seem to be easier to find. Huge difference on top end speed though.

4. I have a 35hp longshaft but it is a stearing and I cannot find a mounting bracket to turn it into a tiller. I did e-mail Evenrude though to see if they can give me any info on where I coud get one. that and an extension for a 9 1/2 hp.