Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 7 am this morning on Riverside Drive in Columbus about 400 yards north of Lane Ave I saw fresh roadkill that was inverse colored skunk. It was mostly white with a black stripe down the back. Was I seeing things or have others seen this?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes there are plenty. There are many color mutations to skunks and raccoons just don't see them to much in the wild.

Skunks can come in a couple white with black stripe. Albino Melanistic Ghost which has this pink tint to it.

Same with *****.

I have seen many in the pet trade. I have a buddy I purchase feeders off of that has a pet skunk coolest thing ever like a dog.

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
was at paint creek lake a few weeks ago and we saw alot of skunks down there all different collors some all black some mostly white but no the traditional black with white stripes. we had seven in our camp in one night

·
Registered
492 Posts
seen skunks from all black to all white. ever see a brown one? had a cousin tell of a brown skunk, and i didn't believe her. not long after that, saw a picture of one mounted in outdoor life magazine. this was back in the early 60's, maybe caused by fallout?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just breeding you can order brown skunks as pets they just don't live to long in the wild.

My friend has a Silver one. It's Silver with a white stipe cool critter. Like a dog will lay on your lap and play with you. Has some mean teeth.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I checked it out again this morning and I definitely was not seeing things. It's in the southbound lane near the centerline just in front of the entrance to the frisbee golf course.

·
turkeymikey
154 Posts
As far as the color markings on skunks go...here it is. Skunks are classified into different color rating as far as the color of their coats. This scale has been used in the fur business for many years and still is just there is not that many that trap Skunks anymore!
A #1 Skunk is one that is all or mostly all black. These are the most desisable and bring the most most money for their pelt.

A #2 is one with a little more white on it. It is less desirable than a #1 and brings less money for its pelt.

This scale goes up to a #5 which is mostly white and is the least desirable and bring the least amount for their pelts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts