close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

is there anywhere good to fish!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ohihunter2014, Apr 14, 2017.

1. I have sat almost all morning googling different lakes, ponds, rivers, etc to fish in and all come back with crap reviews. I used to fish spencer and Finley state park a lot 10yrs ago but quit going because it seemed too many people took too many smaller fish and it went down hill. reviews for both places say it sucks right now. checked wellington reservoirs and same thing. Norwalk and new London seem good on reviews but they are all years old.

I mean what the hell does my hunting and fishing license and tags money go towards? this pisses me off to no end! our hunting lands are absolute crap and now the lakes and ponds too!!

All i want to do is catch some large crappie and LM bass! geeez! Okay, rant over.

2. snag

snag

I think u live in the wrong side of town. I'm near Berlin- w branch etc. I have more places besides those and all being public can go by shore or boat and get crappie , walleye and bass. And hit a few rivers for smallies , pike , and white bass in a week or so. No complaints about lack of fish here..

3. snag

snag

Forgot to add if you live in NW Ohio you have the walleye run going now on the rivers along the lake, then the white bass. You have plenty of places to go .

chrisrf815 likes this.
  4. My dad always has this saying he uses... got to get your hooves to your shanks.
    I'm guessing you live in NW... get some L or UL gear and get to the Sandusky River, besides the white bass there's some good SM and LM fishing to be had... had a buddy in Tiffin and we fished the Sandusky just outside the town, fun day with all the SM we caught... sure none were huge, but fun fishing.
    Hope you find some, there's always the trade a farmer work for fishing option too... best way to fish a private lake.

twistedcatfish1971 likes this.
  5. You'll never catch a fish sitting at your computer either. Most of the upgrounds are pounded & past their prime ; time to pull your boots on find new water.

6. capt j-rod

capt j-rod member

If there are good places then no one posts it... we just got done fishing one of our favorite streams. Someone blew it up on Facebook and you tube last year, (not our group) and there are people wall to wall shoulder to shoulder. Makes us sick. We've come here for 8 years and now we are done. Trash all over the stream. If you ever do find a great spot, then keep it quiet.

7. that seems to be the problem. I tried Norwalk reservoir the first time last sunday and there was trash all over, a lot of people fishing, trash in the water. one guys keeping small crappie. it seems no one cares anyone. out of about 10 people fishing no one caught anything except very small crappie and gills.

Ruminator likes this.
  8. Saugeye Tom

Saugeye Tom River Pilgrim & Sojourner

2 words.....Google maps

9. that's what ive done the last few days and when I search fishing at say spencer lake I get threads from here or others saying it sucks. seems every place sucks.

10. Saugeye Tom

try looking for non public then asking to fish...helps if ya bring a kid!!

Ruminator likes this.
  11. Saugeye Tom

al
    so, i been told someplace sucks and got a limit fast!

Ruminator likes this.
  12. I think the problem is you!! I know a bunch of people who fish those lakes and do very well. I'm not trying to make you mad but you may need to change your tactics a little. Time spent on the water is way more valuable then sitting behind a computer. I know of several Ogf threads that are complete bs, people want to brag but don't want blow up there spots. Just my 2cents.

13. bobk

bobk

I'd move. Ohio sucks.

14. kind of of hard when you work 8am-5pm 6 days a week. Saturday is pretty much the only time I can fish cause by the time I get home and change and drive to the closest spot 30min its almost dark so that why I sit behind a computer. I seen Norwalk with my own eyes and talked to a lot of people. all no fish. some bass fished, some crappie, fished, some for whatever else is in there and no fish so maybe they sit behind a computer too much too!!!!

going in a few to new London I found on google maps sitting behind the computer so we shall see how that goes.

15. snag

snag

Your passing up some good fishing up at the rivers now.. is it to far for you? Wish I lived closer to them.

16. Spencer was a bust today! threw several things and one bite but no hookup. fishes my buddies creek/ river for small mouth and got a 4 inch something fish on a bobber. I couldn't tell what it was but they are eating bugs off the surface. Kinda looked like a baby LM but had more of a trout mouth but lm colors.

17. snag

snag

So you don't go to the rivers for the walleye run?? But cry about nowhere to fish and nothing in the ponds you go to . I give up I have some fairly good info and nothing seems to sink in . Being a 2 month member seems like your not taking any info and using it from any other members either.

T-180 and Ruminator like this.
  18. Not too familiar with that area but in the morning you said you were going to New London(I am guessing the Res) but when you reported later you said Spencer was a bust (I am guessing lake). If memory serves me right those are like 20-25 miles apart. I haven't fished out that way in 40 years, so I may be wrong. Are you new to the area? Maybe you need to get together with someone familiar with the area to show you the ropes or maybe some new tricks.
    This year I haven't really done all that well on my home lake, where I normally do really well. So is it me or the lake? I hear other people have been doing well there this year. Truthfully attitude makes a difference in catching fish. I know the more frustrated you get when not catching the more difficult it becomes to actually to work out what needs changed to start catching fish again. Seem to be having a bit of this problem myself this year.

19. Starting to "doubt myself" as well! A few trips to fish my favorite "go to" steelhead trib since Jan and fishless! Some people reporting double digit days repeatedly!(I have never been skunked there before)! Couple trips to local NE Ohio lakes that I could normally find some early fish on w/o a keeper! Could have something to do with the totally abnormal winter weather that we've had the last couple years, and the fact(my own observation) that the local lakes seem to have changing dynamics(temperature, early/dense weeds, prevailing winds, high inflows, muddy water, etc.(I sometimes make excuses for poor performance/results-fact is, it could just be ME!!)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Ruminator likes this.
  20. Please do give up! I'm over an hour away from the walleye run and not interested in wading as I've said 10 times on here. I've taken info from them and found spots and have been going to them but no luck and when other say no luck it gets discouraging!