close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is the G-man (and others) a thug?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fletch, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Saw a headline on the Insider regarding this. It asked if Greald Swindle, Skeet Reese and Mike Iconelli are thugs.
    What is everyone's opinion on this? Are they putting on a show? Yeah I think so. It's marketing, plain and simple. Do I blame them, nah not really, I just don't like it. I guess I'm too old. I don't think I'd do it if I were as fortunate. I love to watch these guys fish, but when they start with the antics I just flip the channel. It's worse than a commercial coming on in the middle of the show.
    Well, I'd bet these guys are good people to say the least. For sure they are at least, very good fishermen. BUT, I don't watch bassmaster to see someone dance. I must say that when I see Skeet dancing like he is getting electrocuted and Mike break dancing, well, whatever that's called (not to mention the screaming), I just grab the remote and change to another channel. Next thing you'll see Mike doing is having his pants hanging down below his crack (lol). I wonder if screaming like a banshee spooks the fish? It must not cause he's in the money a lot.
    I think it would be fun to hang out with Swindle. But he doesn't come across as someone that has always talked like that. It's almost like he's trying to be too cool.
    I don't mean to slam these guys, I just wish ESPN would give them less exposure so that maybe we can watch some fishing instead of marketing. ESPN does enough (too much) marketing. And if I wanted to watch someone dance I'd change the channel to one that specialized in that area. And if I wanted to hear someone scream at the top of their lungs I'd turn the channel to a grunge music channel. Nothing wrong with shaking your fist into the air or similar actions in celebration of that monster you just boated.
    Just fish guys, leave the other stuff out.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Love em or hate em, these guys are responsible for bringing a LOT of new anglers and spectators to the sport. Dunno if that's good or bad in the long run, but the face of pro bass angling has changed bigtime in the last few years. It's become more mainstream, more recognized, and has evolved the industry. I just hope that it doesn't lose its "hillbilly edge", but I wouldn't mind seeing a pro roll up to the ramp with 22" spinners on his/her trailer :D

3. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

I can't say if they are thugs or not as I never heard of them. I don't watch Bass tournaments because they are boring , that is of course unless they are Striper tournaments or just guys out fishing for Stripers ( True Bass not Sunfish ). Another Bass fisherman who is very boring is Bill Dance. He's a nice guy but his shows are the same old things over and over and he is a master salesman as they all are. These tournaments and shows are all marketing. Just look at all the gear they are pushing.

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

wow, you guys are old and BORING!!!

5. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

I didn't intend to get a slamfest going, too much of that going on on this and other sites.
    BTW, I have 20's on my truck! lol.

6. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

lol,you aren't gonna start crying like shake are ya? B-you wish you were still 20!

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I had no idea who these guys were till I got into your post. I stopped my Bassmaster mag subscription and quit watching the shows when ESPN took over and put emphasis on racing and "personalities" rather than fishing.
    I won't watch it in the dead of winter. I'd rather watch Oprah than those fools.

8. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

20? No way. 17.9, fo sho :D

9. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Yeah BAABAAY, gotta have them factory 20's, lol. ;)

10. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

Thug or not IKE is the man!!
    [​IMG]

11. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

I'm old, and I like Ike :) , but KVD is the Man!
    I'm into the fishing part of it to, but I think this kind of promoting is ok for the sport, it helps to get the youngsters attention on the sport, they're the sport's future, sponsors seem to like it, more sponsors mean more money, so it helps those trying to make a living off it and we get to see a little more tourney fishing.
    NOW, just so they don't go too far....like NASCAR!
    Hopefully it's just a phase bass fishing is going thru! :D

12. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

It worked in golfing for Happy Gilmore why not in fishing for these guys? Happy was the good guy while buzz kill Shooter was evil. I don't mind the excitement. These guys catch fish in the toughest of conditions with only 3 days to prefish before an event. It's not such and easy task. I'd do a little screaming myself.

13. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

I could do without the srceaming, but if i was as good as those guys and just caught a 250.000 fish, heck, id probably scream and try to do a back flip and land on my head. Thug, no way. Different, yea.

14. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

In my humble opion Ike is bringing shame and disgrace to bass fishing. Making a absolute fool out of yourself is not the way to promote the sport. Can he fish? Heck yes, but I have to turn the channel everytime he comes on.Just my 2 cents guys.

15. ESPN is trying to turn fishing into the WWF……

Great for making money, bad for the sport of fishing!

16. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Fact is, to watch someone fish is boring as hell. But when these idiots like Iaconelli start breaking dancing when they catch a fish, then so what, I find it very funny and entertaining so I watch the whole show now instead of just watching 5 minutes and flipping back to the Three Stooges on Spike Tv. Yeah, I believe its a publicity stunt to an extent but I see nothing wrong with it myself. Now with this women's tour starting up, next thing they will have a women's bikini fishing tour. I'll be watching!

17. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Johnboy, we may be old and boring but we know how to catch fish and not just talk about them!

18. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I dont think theres anything worse the B.A.S.S. .....i think the whole bassmaster BS is just that BS...its just large mouth bass people, not anything worth watching for me!
    Heck i think GOLF is about as exciting as them tournys...geez us!...lol like the Walleye Tourny trail, another waste of time.....how people can get so excited on watching these guys catch fish under 10 lbs. is beyound me....20+ lb. line...hook'em and sling them in the boat..yup thats some skills on 2-4 lb. LM's...LMAO!

Waste of time and space on the TV...only in America can idiots make that much money for doing nothing!! Guess it goes hand and hand with NASCAR...dont get me started on that stupid "roundyround racing".

Scott

19. jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj