close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is the flathead spawn over?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by H2O Mellon, Jun 24, 2007.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I've read reports about several 20+ flatheads caught this weekend. Does everyone think the spawn is now over?

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

nope.there will still be fish laying eggs,since they don't all spawn at onc,fish will be caught,but probably mostly females,as males will be gaurding nests till after fry hatch.probably through july.

3. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

i think it is still on, i caught that 22 and it was a female.

4. fishslime

fishslime Catch it, then eat it :)

A few of the males are coming off, the one 24lb i got this weekend had just finished up. He was fairly skinny and still roughed up and worn fins from being in the nest.

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I dont think it will be over till early august

6. think i am going to wait until first of july. started seeing scar's on fish about 3 weeks ago, they should be coming out of it by july. think they started early this year due to the abnormally warm and low water.

7. H2O Mellon

I thought the spawn usually STARTED in July, that's what has me all messed up this year. I thought I remembered usually taking the month of July off.

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Usually July is my worst month..However my worst months this year are april thru october:(

Really the spawn usually does start in July but probably is a tad early this year.

9. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

As we all know, females spawn only once, but at different times. Males however, may spawn several times in a given season with different females if opportunity knocks. It does seem July is the height of the flathead spawning season for me up in northern ohio, so i take july off also.

I was down in southeast ohio last week and the spawn was in full swing, sounded like horses out in the water one night. I also caught 4 flatheads in one night, ALL were sexually immature fish (i fished for 4 nights in a row).

A few nights ago, at my flathead hole up here, i caught a nice, VERY chubby female who hasnt spawned yet. It all happens at different times.

10. I went Friday to a spot that usually produces well for me and caught 0 fish. Think i'm gonna take a couple weeks off then try again.

11. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Like fishslime said above, the male he caught this weekend was beat to hell and back, undoubtedly was done spawning. Now thats not to say there arn't others out there still waiting to spawn or already in the middle of it. But i'de think there's a week or so left and they'll be done.

12. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

i think some are off their beds because i have seen small flatheads around. but im going to try some different areas, in the last 2 weeks i have seen a healthy female and one that was beat up pretty bad. anyones guess is as good as mine

13. they are just now getting on the beds, most of the ones we shocked in the ohio this week weren't on yet and the ones that were, were smaller fish. the channels are in full swing though. right now is the usuall start of the spawn and it should run through until late july early august. i dont see why its a big deal though there are still plenty of fish that spawn late that are biting, and when they bed up the early birds will bite

14. H2O Mellon

But don't the fish is smaller river like the GMR & Scioto spawn earlier due to the water temps rising much faster?

15. the lmr and the gmr have been running cooler than the ohio the past 3 weeks

16. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

I found one for my guest that had fished spawning and failed to find another female that was responsive to his advance. Since he fed he was done spawning.

[​IMG]

This 48 pound male shows where his back rubbed overhanging structure as he fanned eggs.

Some fish may still be spawning but with fish almost 50 pounds unable to find receptive females they are pretty much done.