Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the last few day's reports, I wonder if the reef bite is ending a bit early or, is it this darn weather that has really knocked the fish down? Guess I'll have to take the time to check it out first hand later this week. :D

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I believe it is nearly time to start working areas east of Sandusky.
I Think the walleye rutt is nearly over.
2 more weeks and the action will be hot at Ruggles and the Castle areas. If the weather holds out like it has been.
1 more week for the Huron Area.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The walleye rut, so to speak, may be on the down swing but the bite is certainly not, we just have to change programs on occassion when the weather and the fish change. If it was over my season wouldnt be out of wild wings april through august and pulling fish from the shallows through may. It was definatley work if we slept in over the weekend though, and its certainly obvious that we dont change up enough and we give up too early. I have done it myself, when the bite isnt happening we dont want to sit over that bit for another 2 hours and then say the bite was bad. It was bad in that spot would be more like it. When I have a bad bite, I move with in 20 minutes most often. At the end of the day and I have spent 100 in gas and have no fish...then I say the bite was bad!

·
Premium Member
10,886 Posts
Ron,

I just talked to "Reel Science" fisheries biologist for the DNR Sandusky. The short answer is no, it's not over. He'll come on tonight and provide more a more detailed answer.

Kim

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wouldn't give up on the reef fishing yet. The peak spawning on the reefs typically takes place about last week (week of 4/12), based on egg density research completed by Ed Roseman. Obviously yearly conditions could slightly shift the peak, but last week would be a good bet. Generally you can expect a percentage of early spawners, a majority spawning around peak (usually coincides with water temps approaching 50 degrees), and then a percentage that spawn past the peak. Although we might be on the back side of the peak you can expect to find fish spawning for a few weeks yet, although the numbers should steadily decline. DNR nets (along with anglers) are still catching both males and females in spawning condition on the reef tops.

The rivers (Maumee and Sandusky), however, are most likely towards the end of their spawning runs. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the spawned out females being caught N of Kelleys and around the Islands came from either of the rivers (along with some from the reefs). The rivers' temperatures are both running in the 60's and the number of fish are starting to drop off. The Maumee will usually trail out longer than the Sandusky, but both are within a few weeks of ending.

·
Perch Addict
892 Posts
Thanks for the fine reports guys ........really helps us "southerners" decide when to make that 2-4 hour drive up to the pond. Sounds like a typically normal Lake Erie Spawn year to me...............

Thresher

1 - 6 of 6 Posts