Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seasoned but a newbie to using electronics to sharp shoot fish...hehe. My goal is to target a few fish, drop down with a shiver minnow or like jig, catch and go!

I have a simrad 7 go and struggle to see what I think should be well developed "Marks" of fish when on the lake. My marks are more like small blips and not well defined arcs.

Two questions: what settings should I be starting at to spot fish. what should i be seeing on the screen?

Any help is really appreciated.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,007 Posts
Fast boat speeds means fastest chart speed. My Hbird maxes at 10 so that is my touring speed, then I slow down to 7 for trolling and 3 or 4 for drifting. When on plane, the marks will appear as a vertical line, as you slow the boat down, they will become an arc.
Rickerd

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Thru hull or transom mounted transducer? I agree with the above if transom mounted. My Furuno with a thru hull marks at speed. This is at my 21 knot cruise. The ability to mark fish and identify them at speed is very important when searching for fish.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The transducer is transom mounted. Ricerd are you slowing the boat or the sensitivity of the bottom machine? Thank You

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just got a go9 and we show arches for fish. Using the 3-1 transom tranducer. Havent really messed with initial settings. Our screen speed i think is maxed to fastest. It looks like a “normal” speed. I did notice if you zoom in, the screen speed for the sonar goes really really fast. I saw a you-tube video where the guy adjusts his sensitivity(?) where the fish shows more defined as a red arch vs orange. If you need to compare screens pm me. I’m docked in Vermilion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
437 Posts
I also run the GO7 transom mount but on an aluminum hull.. so I don't see the definition of marks clearly while running on plane due to strakes - rivets creating turbulence. At trolling speeds I see the usual arches with the chirp set at medium and auto sensitivity....if that matters or not? I haven't experimented with many other settings.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also run the GO7 transom mount but on an aluminum hull.. so I don't see the definition of marks clearly while running on plane due to strakes - rivets creating turbulence. At trolling speeds I see the usual arches with the chirp set at medium and auto sensitivity....if that matters or not? I haven't experimented with many other settings.
i will certainly give that a try!

Reactions: bassin61

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,007 Posts
Yes I'm running transom mount. Here was a screen shot during my trip 2 weeks ago that produced our second limit in just under 60 minutes.
Screen Display device Electronics Technology Electronic device

I wish I had taken screen shots an hour earlier. I was going over the same area and all fish were tight to bottom. I have my colors set so yellow is strongest signal and that means walleyes to me. I also have the bottom definition set so I can see some of them on the bottom.

Rickerd

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts