close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is "lipping" a fish bad?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Banker, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Banker

Banker Banned

A lot of people (myself included) will sometimes hold a fish by it's lower lip for a photo or just to look cool. I was wondering what you thought about this subject and what research has been done on it. In what ways can it hurt the fish?/is it bad for fish over a certain weight?/ etc.

2. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

Lipping a large bass is fine (Not a Musky!) Just make sure you let the fish hang straight and don't twist your rist, causing dislocation of the bottom jaw.

3. Capt. Musky is right. It can only really hurt the large bass by dislocating its jaw. Either hold it straight up and down or horizontal with the other hand under its belly. That will cause the weight to be spread out over the entire fish, not just its draw. Small ones can be lipped all the time. Just take care of the big ones, they're too valuable and fun to lose!

4. The alternative is gripping the fish around its body and with that you risk removing the fish's protective slime. It is good practice that if you are going to handle the fish's body you should wet your hands first so as to not have the slime stick to your hand.

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

thats what i always thought too, its ok to hold it but dont use it as a "lever" to make the fish more horizontal.