Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have loved fishing since I was 6 years old and I'm 71 now .
We launch, fish all day, 8-12 hours as a norm, then load up.

When I think on what I actually DO...I change baits and cast cast cast. Snack, drink, toll or cast some more.

I can't figure out why I am so worn out at days end from sitting on my butt and moving my right arm for casting and catching.

Anyone else?? Just wondering if it's just oldtimers. ;)

·
Banned
14,059 Posts

When I think on what I actually DO...I change baits and cast cast cast. Snack, drink, toll or cast some more.

I can't figure out why I am so worn out at days end from sitting on my butt and moving my right arm for casting and catching.

old buddy I'm sorry to say getting old isn't nice to most of us. I'm 69 and I get up tired and go to bed all worn out from doing a lot of nothing. it's just part of getting old for most of us old-timers. but there was a time when I could work 12 hrs then come home and I felt good. but now I go fishing for 3 or 4 hrs come home and lay down for a while to recuperate. just hang in there it's still better than dying young.

·
Registered
808 Posts
old buddy I'm sorry to say getting old isn't nice to most of us. I'm 69 and I get up tired and go to bed all worn out from doing a lot of nothing. it's just part of getting old for most of us old-timers. but there was a time when I could work 12 hrs then come home and I felt good. but now I go fishing for 3 or 4 hrs come home and lay down for a while to recuperate. just hang in there it's still better than dying young.
Mr. Clark..you are not 30 anymore! Im a little older than you, I go-go-go everyday and am beat at days end..my mind thinks its 30, but my body says no-no-no.as Sherm says..its better than the other alternative.Dead!! Just keep on truckin friend.

·
Registered
436 Posts

TClark I have had some of those same thoughts. At least you still go. I live close to a small lake and I swear there are times when my “want to" is very strong, but my get up & go is almost non-existent. I only fish during the week, just in the morning and when I get home my recliner is my best friend. My legs don't work like they use to. I only bass fish. I have a ton of tackle, but sure would trade about 1000 lbs for a little more “get up & go".

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,806 Posts
I'm only gunna be 38, but feel I can relate a bit. I can work my shift til 4 and pack the car and fish pymatuning until 11/1130 and get home at 1230 or 1am. I am more relaxed than if I stayed home and watched tv til 2am. However when I get home I am beat.

This whole pandemic we sit the couch and watch tv til 2 or 3am. But staying up til 1am for fishing is more tiring. It's all worth it though.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I'm only gunna be 38, but feel I can relate a bit. I can work my shift til 4 and pack the car and fish pymatuning until 11/1130 and get home at 1230 or 1am. I am more relaxed than if I stayed home and watched tv til 2am. However when I get home I am beat.

This whole pandemic we sit the couch and watch tv til 2 or 3am. But staying up til 1am for fishing is more tiring. It's all worth it though.
don't really mean to sound sarcastic but FYI at 38 you really don't have a clue. at 69 we are lucky to even make it until 4:00. then it takes all the get up and go we can muster just to go fishing for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
I,m 74 beat up put away wet. and have a broken ankle that doc says six more weeks in a cast. [already been 4wks] busted it putting my boat on the trailer slipped on goose **** @ slim atwood ramp.] I,m sleepy, worn out, can,t hardly walk, think I,ll go to deer creek and fish off the causeway. if I stay in that chair the grim reaper might get me. quit whinning and go do something.[ think I,ll sue the state]lol

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,806 Posts
don't really mean to sound sarcastic but FYI at 38 you really don't have a clue. at 69 we are lucky to even make it until 4:00. then it takes all the get up and go we can muster just to go fishing for a couple of hours.
I know how it can sound being 38. Ya'll saying, not even close!!!

I'm just saying that I know the feeling of something supposed to feel relaxing you come home feeling beat. That's all I'm saying! Also to anyone else. Nobody knows how bad persons may have beat up their body due to sports, accidents, Etc.

We got members in here I think broken their backs, had back surgeries, bad accidents, etc. Dont get panties in a bunch because others arent in "golden years"

·
Registered
11,397 Posts
I'm eighty one and started fishing with my dad at age four. Fished with dad for many wonderful years until he gave it up after mom passed away. I have and still enjoy the tiered feeling at the end of the day knowing and being thankful that I am still able to do so.

·
retired pipefitter120/669 sprinkler fitter
1,499 Posts
Time has played a trick on all of us I am 74 take it 1 day at a time, never got the boat in this year I had medical issues. I am looking forward to next year and enjoying what I am blessed to have this year, yes age slows us all down but take what you have and enjoy it. I will have back surgery 9/16/2020 and hope to be up and active in 2021 and wish the best for all of you fellow OGF.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Be active and try to stay in shape, you'll feel better and have more energy.
Yeah fishing wears me out (I'm 68) but just being outdoors has a way of tiring you out but in a good way.
I try to get in 6,000 -7,000 steps per day, I play pickleball 3-4 times per week and try to go fishing/hunting/hiking/biking 3-4 time per week.
If you're overweight try to get rid of some of those extra pounds. Just put 4, 5# bags of sugar in a few grocery bags and carry them around with you everywhere you go. Imagine if it's an extra 50#. Carrying that extra weight will get to you after a while.
I think I'm more tired on the days I just sit around the house doing nothing.
Over the years I've dropped about 50# and I have to say I think I feel better now than I ever have in the past.
I'm not stopping until I'm dead.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I can very well relate and I'm 38. Being on all the great lakes fishing in non desirable conditions in go fast boats for damn near 20 years thrown in with first mating for 10 years my body is beat down. I work for a tile distribution center. And for you that don't know tile is heavy. I get it i don't know anything I'm only 38 right??? I'm pretty sure I do get it. Three heart surgeries, 4 blood clots, ruptured disc in back many stitches and broken bones. I guess bc being younger its impossible for us to get it lol

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I know how it can sound being 38. Ya'll saying, not even close!!!

I'm just saying that I know the feeling of something supposed to feel relaxing you come home feeling beat. That's all I'm saying! Also to anyone else. Nobody knows how bad persons may have beat up their body due to sports, accidents, Etc.

We got members in here I think broken their backs, had back surgeries, bad accidents, etc. Dont get panties in a bunch because others arent in "golden years"
at our age out panties stay in a bunch, LOL. I was just saying wait until you get 65 or so. injuries cause more pain than just being old. and a 38 yr old out of shape will notice the tired feeling more so than a healthy 38 yr old. age affects us all differently. but as we age it takes a lot out of us and it takes us much longer to recuperate.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Time has played a trick on all of us I am 74 take it 1 day at a time, never got the boat in this year I had medical issues. I am looking forward to next year and enjoying what I am blessed to have this year, yes age slows us all down but take what you have and enjoy it. I will have back surgery 9/16/2020 and hope to be up and active in 2021 and wish the best for all of you fellow OGF.
Nauti cat. Good luck with the surgery. I'll be pulling for you. keep us informed on how ur doing

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
I'm eighty one and started fishing with my dad at age four. Fished with dad for many wonderful years until he gave it up after mom passed away. I have and still enjoy the tiered feeling at the end of the day knowing and being thankful that I am still able to do so.
That tired feeling is gratification from fishing or hunting hard for the love of accomplishment. Abusing our bodies when we were young and indestructible, is the price we pay for in our "Golden Years ".

1 - 20 of 61 Posts