Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the day off tomorrow and want to take the boat out to test a new motor and fish for Walleye and Bass. Is Berlin even worth the drive considering the water level and clarity?? I'm considering driving an extra 30 mins for muskies at Leesville. Thoughts?

·
bassing around
1,919 Posts
if your not from around here and dont know berlin well when its down dont go there,just goto milton and put your boat in at the river or the the one on the north west side be better off and much better off and good lake to fish.just mt 2ct,markfish

·
Registered
145 Posts
I fished berlin Saturday and only caught one eye. ( trolling a nightrawler harness ) We jigged a bunch also with no success. Like markfish said, if you don't know berlin it can be dangerous this time of year. Hope the new motor runs good for you!

-Tom

·
uncaptain
902 Posts
my dad got an eye at wb crappie fishin this week.but my buddy got skunked at mosquito sat tried everything but cranks in the shallows.said crappies were hot.

·
I must be a fish....
267 Posts
Went Sunday morning and tore the crappie... caught about 40 all between 10-13 inches...threw them all back......jigging around the bridges.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went anyways. What a waste of time, gas, money, and effort. I can't get over how much of a sandpit that lake is. Theres no humps, no stumps, no bumps... no structure!!!

I also can't get over how rediculously low they drain the lake down. Carp jumping everywhere. It was certainly not the lake I remember. Very muddy water. Boats beached onshore. No place to get gas, bait, ice, or motor oil. It's mid September. You would have thought it was Late October with Les' closed and all.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Went this morning and fished about 9am - 12:30 with 0 bites. Fished north and south of 225 and rr bridge. Fished the islands. Fished with crank baits, vibes, worm harnesses, jigs, grubs, erie derie, etc... Fished 3 fow to 30 fow. NO BITES!

Also got to see some old guys yelling at eachother in the parking lot about 12:45 at bonner road. If by chance you are reading this you should be absolutely ashamed for yourselves. There was a 8-10 yr old boy standing there observing every single word.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Berlin is a nice lake but you have to remember its primary purpose is flood control... fishing and boating are at the bottom of the list!

·
fishing extradonaire
755 Posts
dont ever take anyones word on a bite.. just cus they dont think their biting or they havent gotton a bite. Go for yourself stano... Stick with it.. Cover water.. if you aint on em.. keep movin. I did quite well for the first time out on 9/19.. since early summer.. As far as leesville... went today got my second 40 plus inch muskie (4 in 4 trips) in my most recent 4 trips while fishing for saugeye.. nothin better then chasin a giant around with 6lb test and seeing it go airbourne 5 times and ripping 20 yrds of line out in about 2 seconds. twisting and turning in mid air..10 yrds in front of your boat and u make eye contact with it.. I'm having a hard time deciding which was funner this past weeK!

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
Oh man I wish EVERYONE thought of Berlin like this.:D
We have some excellent inland lake fisheries and Berlins one of them.

Berlin is a nice lake but you have to remember its primary purpose is flood control... fishing and boating are at the bottom of the list!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Stano, you obviously don't know Berlin like many of us know Berlin. You just have to know where the stumps and humps are. Suggest you fish more and more often.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't think he was implying it isn't a good fishery....simply explaining the reason for the static water fluctuation

Oh man I wish EVERYONE thought of Berlin like this.:D
We have some excellent inland lake fisheries and Berlins one of them.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
ReelAddiction ch.68
226 Posts
stano,
what a perfect time to get to know a lake, when it is drawn down. Not having a good GPS, I still carry maps and a highlighter. Every year new structure falls into the lake, that will eventually be cover in the spring. Every trip is a learning experience "Fishing" not "Catching". If you are do not know Berlin very well, you should not be running on full plane this time of year anyway. Just my 2cts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
if i was fishing berlin right now for eyes i would would not be hitting the main lakes. try mouths of the major creek arms like dutch harbor. the shallower water is where the warmer water is and probably where the bait fish are going. just follow the bait or major food source. ive had my best fishing in berlin this time of year with the water lower for both bass and eyes. just cover water until you can find what they want.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I went anyways. What a waste of time, gas, money, and effort. I can't get over how much of a sandpit that lake is. Theres no humps, no stumps, no bumps... no structure!!!
Wow, did some of the locals hire you to write this post lol.;)

Berlin is full of humps, stumps, bumps. As with any lake, a good map and finder will show many hot spots.

·
Equal opportunity fishing
4,287 Posts
Stano....
If you don't go to Berlin now and get to know it, you're missing a great opportunity. Very little boat traffic, you can see submerged islands and so forth, but the fish are starting to turn on. In two days last week, my buddy boated 21"+ eyes! Will be there tomorrow. As the water cools, as it's doing, the fishing will get spectacular....trust me. Right now, try sharp drops.
Crappie Killer,
I'm pretty sure I saw you on the west side under the causeway last weekend, but was too late to holler at ya. Oh well...next time.
Ragu, Mike, Beer 30...hey, I'll see ya out there alot in the next few weeks and months....save some for me...and I'll try to do the same!! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I apologize for my rant. It was just a bad day on the water. I couldn't get my motor to run right. I've been messing with it all Summer. I was putting around in dirty water and was frustrated I couldn't find motor oil or bait on the drive in. I know Berlin can be good. I've had the best inland lake day of my life at Berlin. It was just a bad day. New boat. New motor. New problems....I will be out to try again onceI get the motor running right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts