Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
still_luv_sunfish'n
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of gassing up the truck and heading to the launch on RT 14 (I think) just out of Deerfield circle. Has anybody sunfished there? If so, is the fishing good? I'm pretty sure that this is the weather that I have been waiting for. I just need a change from moggie for a minute.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
DANG,,barf...... I don't know?? If I wanted panfish,,I go to 2 lakes,,Mog. or Mil.,, Ber. is a chance for 'em,,though I NEVER target them there,,& that's not saying you won't have any luck with them there.. I hope some "Berlin panfishers" chime in for you.. But I can say,,Moggy,,or Wingfoot's the ringers for panfish,,& I also have good luck with them during the "immediately after",,the spawn cycle,,at Milton..The rest of the year I target Eyes...... ----->>>>>sonar<<<<<-----

·
still_luv_sunfish'n
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Sonar. I am pretty successful at moggie with the redear and channel cat. I was wanting to try something different though. I just don't care for Wingfoot. (I'm not saying it's a bad lake(if there is such a thing), just not one of my favorites.) Usually when I'm up for a change, I hit portage lakes, but my parents have a pontoon out there now. Maybe I'll hit Long or north this sunday. Its been a while since I've been there.

I made this post for the very reason that there are not any posts on sunfishing Berlin. They have to be in there. (unless the Walleye ate them all:).

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Oh they're in there!!barf,, I get quite a few every year,,on Blades/vertical-jigging..& are usually,,keep-sized fish,,& usually out of 15' or deeper..but that would be 1 maybe 2 fish a trip,,or-none at all.. And,, they are scattered over a good sized area if I would get more than one... GOOD luck,,wherever you end up,,looks like a decent weekend for fishing!! ----->>>>>sonar<<<<<-----

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Your best bet for larger sunfish on a "big" lake would be Mosquito! Big craps, biggest gills in any NE Ohio waters. Just PM OGF "chaunc" for some tips. He fishes both professionally and 'for the table ' and will gladly give you some good starting points and tips on what he uses!!

·
still_luv_sunfish'n
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As much as I would love to try skeeter, it is simply too far away. I am thinking North res. more and more for Sunday. A pile of 7”ers is pretty likely, but that sounds like a fish fry to me. I will hopefully have some pix of the stringer. Also, I caught my PB there a few years back.

Thanx for the replies.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Just recently I started to get back into the crappies and red ears at moggy. From shore too. A lot of nice fish. Fishing mainly plastics with minnows mixed in every once in a while. Buddy fished portage last weekend and did decent on gills and craps shooting docks.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Assume you boat fish. I would probably stick with Moggie or try Wingfoot. The gills I caught (while crappie fishing!) at Wft this past Spring were the best I can remember in many years out there. You also will get the numerous crappie and perch mixed in. With the waters cooling, all of the pannies should be putting on the feedbag!

·
Registered
827 Posts
As much as I would love to try skeeter, it is simply too far away. I am thinking North res. more and more for Sunday. A pile of 7”ers is pretty likely, but that sounds like a fish fry to me. I will hopefully have some pix of the stringer. Also, I caught my PB there a few years back.

Thanx for the replies.
Farther than what you planned, but if a fish fry is what you are after, and have the boat (or a buddy with a boat) to make it out, the perch are hitting on the hump out of Fairport. Jumbos aren't there (as of yesterday), but there are some 11-12" fish mixed in with the hoards of 8-10's. Good luck either way!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I never targeted blue gills, sun fish, etc. at berlin. But I really don't think the population is strong. Berlin primary forge is shad and it is heavy. Shad and blue gills I think spawn at closely the same time. During the early fry stage they both compete for the same food ( plankton, zoo...) and I'm fairly certain blue gills lose the battle. In addition to the food, the environment is not friendly, there is no or very little weeds because of the continuous water level fluctuations and the muddy water color. Weeds need to stay submerged in water and sunlight to grow.
I think Blue Gills, etc. use the weeds for protection.
I would try portage lakes...I remember as a kids we would catch one after another.
Good Luck

·
Registered
827 Posts
I never targeted blue gills, sun fish, etc. at berlin. But I really don't think the population is strong. Berlin primary forge is shad and it is heavy. Shad and blue gills I think spawn at closely the same time. During the early fry stage they both compete for the same food ( plankton, zoo...) and I'm fairly certain blue gills lose the battle. In addition to the food, the environment is not friendly, there is no or very little weeds because of the continuous water level fluctuations and the muddy water color. Weeds need to stay submerged in water and sunlight to grow.
I think Blue Gills, etc. use the weeds for protection.
I would try portage lakes...I remember as a kids we would catch one after another.
Good Luck
Not sure Portage is the best option right now? As posted by Ranger Julie at WB, PL is drawing water down rapidly. As per ODNR:

THE LAKE WATER LEVELS OF EAST, WEST, NORTH, & TURKEYFOOT RESERVOIRS ALONG WITH THE ADJOINING CHANNELS AND CREEKS WILL BE LOWERED 15 INCHES BELOW NORMAL WATER LEVEL.

LOWERING OF THESE LAKES WILL BEGIN October 15, 2013 AND WILL TAKE APPROXIMATELY 7 DAYS AND WILL BE HELD AT THIS LEVEL UNTIL November 15, 2013 AND WILL TAKE APPROXIMATELY 7 DAYS TO REPLENISH THE LEVELS.

THIS WILL ALLOW RESIDENTS ALONG THE AFFECTED AREA TO WORK ON SEAWALLS AND DOCKS.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
LOWERING OF THESE LAKES WILL BEGIN October 15, 2013 AND WILL TAKE APPROXIMATELY 7 DAYS AND WILL BE HELD AT THIS LEVEL UNTIL November 15, 2013 AND WILL TAKE APPROXIMATELY 7 DAYS TO REPLENISH THE LEVELS.
It's Sept now... they wont start lowering till next month. The drawdown does not seem to affect the fishing in a bad way, and it's safe to boat when they do(docks are a bit high if you trying to get outta the boat on them) I'm headed out to Portage in the morning for the gills... it's been hot, lots of gills up to 8" ,but none over for me. Might be heading out Sat too... I cant fish Sundays now, else i'd head out there with ya. Good luck where ever you go Barf!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was buying bait yesterday to fish Portage Lakes and another fisherman with a boat/trailer pulled up. I asked him where he was going and he told me Portage Lakes. He also informed me that he had traveled out to Berlin that morning as that is where he intended to fish but the water was so low he couldn't use the ramp......so he came back and decided to go to Portage Lakes. From his report I guess the water is really down at Berlin.

·
Registered
921 Posts
They are dropping Berlin by about 1.5 inches a day, or around 1 foot per week.

Berlin is currently around 7 feet below Summer Pool.

The interesting fact however is that 8% of that current volume is flood capacity, or in other words, if not for the heavy rains of last week, it would be another 1/2 foot lower.

One other thing. The OP (barf) mentioned a launch on Rt14. Was that a geographic typo and he was really thinking about Bonner Rd. or is there in fact a public launch on Rt14?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
at the rt 14teen bridge theres a old road going into the water just over the bridge going east on the right side last time I was by there a gate was up and locked. bonner rd can be used up till ice time.

·
Powderfinger
7,764 Posts
That used to be a marina on SR 14 at Berlin. Can't seem to remember the name in my old age. Was it Tradewinds Marina???

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yep..... like Bountyhunter said, the old road bed ramp on the south shore of the west side of 14 is now gated off. I know years ago there used to be a private ramp on the north shore on the east side of 14.... I'd imagine the one that Lewzer is talking about. But I don't think it's open anymore. I was just out at Berlin at the beginning of the month and it sure doesn't look like its open anymore, anyhow.

And like Bountyhunter said....... Bonner road can be used when the water is a lot lower than it is now. From what I understand, last year you were able to launch at, at least one of the old Bonner Rd ramps, and the water was a lot lower last year, than it will be this year.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I am guessing these are the two locations being discussed here. I figured I would post a picture of each for clarity. Both are the RT14 bridge at Berlin. One depicts the concrete ramp (very shallow ramp) on the North East shore and the old gravel path on the South West shore.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
lewxer your not over the hill yet ,your right they moved to ravenna. I still think berlin is a waste of time, per acre the fish count is just not there. maybe its just me? I have no faith in catching eyes at berlin. I like milton better.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yeah +1 to Milton eyes, but even Uncle Milton has his moods. Here it is consistency over size.

Granted while Berlin walleye tend to be larger, they are also fewer & further between. I feel a reason they (may) grow larger at Berlin is they are harder to get into, at least for me. The older the fish the bigger the dish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts