Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get anyones thoughts who has auto pilot on their boat for trolling. I never had it on any of my boats and thinking about getting it in the future. Everyone I talk to that has it says its the only way to go and they cant see trolling without it now.

·
One On The Turn
440 Posts
Have one now and on my last boat. Best money you can spend on your boat. Will not be without one ever again.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
I agree it is a must have. But...big BUT, Don't waist your money on a entry level unit that will only allow you to fish down wind. Work with a reputable dealer and make him aware you are going to use it for trolling.

I have no qualms about reccomending South Shore. They'll get you what you need without a bunch of bs about why it doesn't do what you need it to do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Like stated above, best money spent, and spend enough money to get a good unit. If you can't afford a high end unit, save until you can.

·
Registered
386 Posts
:Banane09:best investment I ever made was the auto pilot.
Just like Hardwork says
"don't leave home without it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have one of the original Raymarine Autopilots with the rudder reference, I was one of the lucky ones. I have trolled on Lake Erie upwind, downwind and this unit has worked great. Its a absolute must. I know HardWork is laughing, because I think only two units have ever worked good. I got my $$$ worth and then some.

Carlos

Timex

·
Registered
442 Posts
I just finally ran miy new Raymarine on Saturday. Could not see 1/4 mile in front of us coming in to Vermilion from the 40/23 because of the rains. I just set it on 178 degrees, got the speed settled in and 40 minutes later the Vermilion water tower was right in front of us. Sweet.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I don't see how you could troll WITHOUT one unless you had a full time helmsman. Been there , done that and it gets pretty old. That being said, I just use a minnkota bow mount trolling motor that has autopilot built in for my 18 footer. If i'm going slow (under 1.6) it's my main propulsion too. Otherwise , I put the socks out with big motor and use the electric to steer my boat.

Like others have said, do your homework. Not all autopilots are created equal. Some will just not function at slower speeds.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
We talked about this the other night sitting around the fire. My question is, can you program a route into your pilot, and will it follow it from point to point automatically?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It seems the general consensus is that autopilot stinks, don't get one ;)

My autopilot is 'connected' to my gps chartplotter, and thus to fishignguy's question, I can set a waypoint or navigate to a saved location, cursor mark, or whatever with the autopilot...with warnings when you're approaching the destination, etc.

Since I fish alone quite a bit, I can't imagine not having an autopilot...it's one of the best things on the boat by far.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Playin X box in the cuddy drinkin beer with those underage kids probably.....but just a wild quess :D;)

J/K of course dude. LOL

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Playin X box in the cuddy drinkin beer with those underage kids probably.....but just a wild quess :D;)

J/K of course dude. LOL
LOL. That'll get ya every time. Outside of this thread you have to fill me in on allgood, hope it was awesome.

PS don't call my cabin a cuddy! ;):D

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
When I advise people on rigging a boat my biggest piece of advice is if you want to ENJOY trolling - get the best autopilot you can afford. In boating / fishing there are LOTS of things you can spend LOTS of money on. A good autopilot is something that you will get some "return / bang for the buck" EVERY time you use your boat.

An autopilot is one of those things in life where "you get what you pay for" - the performance and capabilities of the more expensive units are simply better than the lower priced alternatives.

The things that will go into determining the correct autopilot for your boat are THE BOAT it is going on, Steering system you have (outboard(s), Inboard, I/O) hydraulic / mechanical, etc.), your expectations for type of fishing - how slow you expect to be able to maintain control? (Most pilots will do a decent job for summertime dipseys / cranks at speeds 2.2 to 3MPH - but if you want and expect good control at speeds lower than 1.5 you will need a higher end unit on most boats. The bigger the boat and more it is affected by wind, the tougher it is for control at super slow (HARNESS) speeds. The toughest thing for an autopilot to do is the real slow stuff that walleye fishermen require.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts