close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is anyone catching smallies.......

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by smalliehunter, Jun 30, 2004.

1. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

In the local rivers. The RRP is experiencing a horrible year on the local rivers for bass.......... numbers are low, and size is very very minimal......compared to years gone by......... Was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem?

2. Homey

Homey OGF Parrot Head

I have had no luck at all, but I have only been out twice, and ony during mid-day.

Homey

3. catking

catking Banned

DA KING !!! has had no problem at all catchin smallies in the same river the RRP fishes ;) The average size is around 4 pounds, with many approaching 5&6 pounds.Does DA KING !!! have to come over and hold your all freakin hands also? Bait your hooks??? JEEZE US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DA KING !!! :cool:

4. smalliehunter

The RRP never, NEVER uses live bait for bassin............ we leave that up to the cattin............. Also, we must be doing something wrong...... 4lbders, and some hitting 5 or 6 pounds?????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ....... I am not sure what to say to that one King.......... maybe you hit your head or something........ :D :D :D Any way the RRP will keep plugging away and you.......... you keep up the awesome smallie catches!!!!!!!!

5. catking

catking Banned

There seems to be a typo........It should read some in the 4" range, with many approaching 5&6"............ :eek: :eek: I was getting alittle carried away :eek: Anyways, RiverRatPack, we have trouble in that stretch of river. It's called meat hunters. I don't mind anybody keeping a few fish to eat, but smallies in this section, especially some approaching 18 & 19". is DEVESTATING to the river we share. I listened to Joe Cornwall last week(cornmuse on the site) and people that keep big smallies are indeed putting a MAJOR dent in the rivers population and spawn. And you guys have heard my stories ;) Oh well, like I told THARRIS, I'll let ya guys know if I run into some .Give us all some hope ;) Later Guys.CATKING

6. smalliehunter

I hear ya King....... old age will do that to ya!!!! :p The RRP has seen sadly enough alot of sign (trash left behind) of folks in the areas we frequent. I suspect this will have a huge impact if they are keeping the fish. Nightcrawler containers, dead minnows, etc........ makes me sick......like you i dont mind a once in a while take home (although the RRP is catch and release only)..........but keeping everything, especially the adult fish that keep the spawn going for next year........... :mad: Oh well must adapt and find new water........way out of the way of the gen pop!!!

7. :D Hit the Stillwater yesterday and floated a few miles from about 7AM till 2PM. I fished a section upstream of Rte 55 and the water is in fine condition (was?). The cool nights have kept the water temps barely ticking 70 degrees and the bronze is very, very active.

I fished with fellow TOSA member Dave Votaw. Dave used spinning gear and a twin tailed grub in an olive-brown color. His tally was close to 20 smallmouth and about that many rock bass in the course of the day. I had my usual long rod and managed to keep up with Dave just fine, taking fish on streamers and nymphs. The fish averaged about 10 to 11". There weren't any monsters, but they all fought like champs and were quick to go airborn.

I am finding the the smallmouth are holding in more current than I would expect for this time of year. They were out from the break and holding in the fast water - or if the current hit a bank they held in the upstream push. I expect they are looking for crayfish there, but they were quite happy to nail a quick moving sculpin imitation. The bigger the fly the better the response and I spent the day with a 6 weight and size 4 flies. The fish definitely responded best when the presentation kept the artificial tight to the bottom, though.

Dave had three nice takes on a buzz bait, but it seemed the fish were a bit reluctant. They aren't quite looking "up" during the day.

We may not have too many opportunities this weekend with all the rain coming, but if you can find water before the storm, the time is right!

Tight lines!

Joe C.