Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something's different this year, at least around Oshay. Once again after an evening cookout, I have a dozen big bug bites, and these aren't skeeter bites. They're in tight areas like armpits or on my beltline and other places that get little sunlight, kind of like flea bites. But I don't think these are fleas because if they were, they'd come home with me and I'd keep finding more new bites days later. (says the guy who used to rake leaves on the OSU oval)

I've been hanging around these same places for years, and I've never had anything like this. It's strange, I can spend half a day cutting shoulder-high weeds and get no bites, but I get nailed sitting at a picnic table in mown grass.

I know, I know, this is what I get for hanging out on land instead of on the water.

Dang bites last longer than skeeter bites, too. Oh well, as they say, "they have a cream for that" so I'll just have to, um, drop my drawers and slather up. :hypnotized:

·
Registered
146 Posts
im pretty sure i have and i was wearing pants and high socks! Also, I have noticed more ticks this year too

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Yes got many this year!

I read that the nail polish thing is a myth. I still do it because it helps the itching. Doesn't kill chiggers though.

·
Founder of TCFF
52 Posts
Place a Bounce Fabric softener sheet on ya and most of those critters will leave ya alone

They all hate whatever is in the Bounce

Learned this one many years ago when I was a single dad at soccer games

Thanks soccer moms

·
11 dayz
10,479 Posts
interesting...cuts off the oxygen?
Chiggers bury there self in the 3rd and 4th layers of the epidermis. When you put the nail polish on ( I prefer clear) it blocks their breathing apparatus and they die. I had this information from the entomoligy classes I took in school many moons ago. Tom --------- Hmm--according to medicen.net the nail polish does not work and the chiggers just bite and leave ???????? The polish has always worked for me

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hate them little pains in the *** also. I even hate their name. I've been getting them on me going through cattails after frogs. Good luck to you and "keep on scratching":D.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Any repellant will work. Take as hot a bath or shower as you can stand to loosen them. they insert a "Straw" into the host and feed for 4 days. Then after that is when the fun begins:confused: Prevention is the best course.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
My father was in France during WW2. He got chiggers somehow and while on a train, a "beautiful young French lady"(his words!) saw him scratching them. She gave him nail polish to dab on the bites and it stopped them cold.
(To continue this story, she took him home to her parents house for a "wonderful" meal of "rabbete"! Later he visited their "facilities" out back. There close by was a chopping block with "cat feet, tail, head, and fur!!! After hurling, he thanked them and left. Times must have been very tough in WW2 France!!)

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Strange how they seem to prefer places where you'd think they'd get chafed off, like on the beltline pressure points, or in the armpits. And I still don't understand what's different about this year, because this has never been a problem for me before, and it has happened at two separate areas around Oshay. Maybe those mites have population swings, and this year there's a lot of them.

I hate dryer sheets but I think I'll get a fresh pack, and have some folded into my pants pockets next time I go.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I didn't even know chiggers lived in Ohio... But I just got back from Georgia and I got eaten alive there!!!!!!!

·
1,915 Posts
Nasty little buggers! I hope To never have them again.I looked like I had freckles every where.Got them in Oklahoma, temps were about 90 at night I sat in cold water temp relief ,buggers stayed with me for almost a week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts