Is Antrim Iced Over

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by KDOG1976, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Today is Friday the 26th and I was thinking about fishing Antrim today. I thought that the water was deep enough that maybe it isnt iced over yet. Has anyone seen the water there in the last couple of days to know if it is clear or ice?

2. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

Good question. With most of the rivers blown out and the supposed great weather this weekend leaves me with an itch to fish and nowhere to scratch...

Please let me know if you find anything out.

3. I know it was close this past monday water was so cold i dumped out my minnis when i was done and they died almosy instantly.

4. EE

EE

I drove past it yesterday and it was pretty well iced over, a few patches that looked to be open. not sure the degree to which it will open up, with the rising temps today (upper 40's) and rain, but I'm guessing a good share of the lake is still iced over at the moment.

Sometimes what looks like open water is just melt water and rain on top of ice, it's hard to tell from Rt. 315 which was my vantage point.

good luck (I'm sure the temps for tomorrow - 60's - will help significantly).
    EE

5. I drove by it earlier today and it was still iced over. A few of the holes looked bigger than yesterday, so hopefully some of this rain and warm weather will open it up some more.

6. it wont be very safe after sat and 65 degree temps

7. EE

EE

agreed, although I don't think KDog was thinking about getting out on it to ice fish. I think he was looking for open water.

8. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

I've never seen any signs forbidding ice fishing--never seen anyone ice fishing either. I don't think it is permitted on Antrim. I'd be leery about going out on that ice as I have seen spots that look open or slushy even after extended, deep cold snaps. Must be springs that cause the open holes.

9. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I have ice fished it one time... Knowing it probably wasn't aloud but why would they exclude ice fisherman from using their park? Dog Walkers, Running, etc is aloud why can't I enjoy the ice?

In the end we ended up with 1 16" rainbow and thats it.

10. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

Although they dont have any signs prohibiting ice fishing, there are signs posted that say that the ice is never safe.

11. Being that it is a city lake, I don't think it is allowed. But I have seen a few people do it.

12. guys I was NOT talking about ice fishing. I would have to be VERY assurred that it was safe to icefish and I hav never felt that way in central ohio on any body of water. I was referring to it being ice free so i could fish normal style. I went out there Sunday morning for 3 hours. I saw 1 guy get a rainbow, but I was fishing powerbait for rainbow and had a catfish pole out as well and got no bites on either.

13. EE

EE

I tried to help that point along, in reply #7! :p

There are still plenty of rainbows in there...... and some big ones. Should be a good week of shore fishing, if you can time it right (looks like it's teetering right around freezing from Wed. on).

14. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

We know. We aren't dense, we are just thread hijackers.