close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is a Small Jig a Fly

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Buckeye Mike, Feb 21, 2008.

1. if tied in smaller sizes, like 1/80 oz. If so, here is some that i have done.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. nice.... than i went to your photo galleary as well.. i'm impressed!

Frank

3. THANKS, for the complimant. Not hard to do, cheaper then buying them, and gives me some thing to do in the winter if i am not ice fishing.
    Hair jigs also work under the ice.

[​IMG]

4. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Looks good. Yea they can be considered a fly. But there will always be some who will say otherwise. I like that rubber legged/ chenille ones. I would go an extra step by put a size smaller hackle on it ans spiral wrap it the body. I have been using black wooly worm this way this winter with great results so I believe it will help to add some on it.

5. Yea, i do agree on the small jig, fly thing. What is a fly when you put lead dumbell eyes on it ?

Have all ready tried using hackle on that jig, and it didn't seem to help in fish production.

Was thinking about using that same split tail style, and trying to come up with a mayfly patteren after i saw how good your crawdad looked.
    Fish around here Love wiglers/ mayfly larva.

6. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Worth a try, experimenting with different materials til you kind a find good combination that catches. This is what is great about fly tying cause you have control what you want on a hook instead buying already made lures.

7. they had an article on tying jigs in their last issue.

Nice looking jigs. I may have to post some of mine I have tyed over the years.