Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
The end is near
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize a fishing forum is prolly not the best place in the world to ask this question, but some of you are pretty intelligent.
My question concerns gold and silver. Are any of you diversified enough to include gold and silver in your portfolio?
If you do, what form of each do you buy and where do you get it?

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I buy from jmbullion.com. I also buy using ACH transfer. Save little bit of money. There is of course opinions on both sides, but Silver seems to be the better option right now. I usually buy rounds or bars. I've got a few 1/2 oz rounds as well. I do not buy any bar or round bigger then 10oz. Silver is going to shoot up I think. IMHO only. I do know someone who buys from Ampex and they are happy with them.
Another thing... Silver is silver.. it is worth what market says it worth... You buy an ounce of silver thats supposed to be collectable and you pay more then market....your taking the loss brother. Coins can be the exception, but you best know your coins. Stick to Silver Rounds or Bars.

·
Oh Deer
221 Posts
I don't buy gold or silver to make a lot of profit. I think you can make more with stocks. I buy some for a **** hit the fan or US dollar collapse scenario. I don't think silver will be as good in these situations so I only buy .9999% gold coins. US buffalo or Canada gold leaf. Some small denominations for easy trading, some large. Nothing special that has collector value. You won't get your moneys worth in an emergency. I think Apmex and JMBullion are big respectable places to buy. If they let ANY counterfits through, it could decimate their buisiness, so I feel safe with them.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Shucks, I ain't no IRS agent. You can call home and ask my wife. She'll tell you I'm a backwards hillbilly from southern WV
So am I, brother of the slack-jaw!(Gary/Welch, McDowell cty)
You should be buying “Black Gold”/King Coal!(not gold!) It’ll be valuable again one day!👍

·
Registered
761 Posts
One thing to remember that with the exception of a couple limited edition coins that are clearly marked 100% silver, coin silver is 90% pure. So any pre-64 coins are only worth 90% spot.
Also stay away from those commemorative coins CLAD in pure gold.
They sell for 10-20$ and contain about 20cents of gold.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I don't buy gold or silver to make a lot of profit. I think you can make more with stocks. I buy some for a **** hit the fan or US dollar collapse scenario. I don't think silver will be as good in these situations so I only buy .9999% gold coins. US buffalo or Canada gold leaf. Some small denominations for easy trading, some large. Nothing special that has collector value. You won't get your moneys worth in an emergency. I think Apmex and JMBullion are big respectable places to buy. If they let ANY counterfits through, it could decimate their buisiness, so I feel safe with them.
There is that too. (if and when the US Dollar collapse) I dont buy ounce gold, but 1/10, or .25 ounce gold..

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Buy low, sell high.

·
Just practicing my cast
5,299 Posts
My wife and I have been buying gold and silver for some time now and putting it away for the just in case time. We buy one oz at a time of both !!!! Are thinking is that if you ever need to use it as pure money it’s will be easiest for us to use. Buy only what you can afford and in know time it will add up.

·
The end is near
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My wife and I have been buying gold and silver for some time now and putting it away for the just in case time. We buy one oz at a time of both !!!! Are thinking is that if you ever need to use it as pure money it’s will be easiest for us to use. Buy only what you can afford and in know time it will add up.
BH, this is what I was thinking. A little at a time. I've been buying Morgan silver dollars for years. I realize they only have 90% silver content but that's nothing to sneeze at. I might step it up a tad like you and the missus. Every little bit counts.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
BH, this is what I was thinking. A little at a time. I've been buying Morgan silver dollars for years. I realize they only have 90% silver content but that's nothing to sneeze at. I might step it up a tad like you and the missus. Every little bit counts.
Morgans are valued differently then Silver. If they are Morgans and not Peace dollars. Generally speaking now, Morgan will bring 15-20% more then Silver. Some bring whole lot more depending on condition and date, the Mint... If they are graded.. etc.. The value of Morgans is also affected by Whims. Right now they are highly favored. Appletree Auction in Newark just had an safety deposit auction and they had bunchs of morgans. Check em out and get an idea what you've been buying.

·
The end is near
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Morgans are valued differently then Silver. If they are Morgans and not Peace dollars. Generally speaking now, Morgan will bring 15-20% more then Silver. Some bring whole lot more depending on condition and date, the Mint... If they are graded.. etc.. The value of Morgans is also affected by Whims. Right now they are highly favored. Appletree Auction in Newark just had an safety deposit auction and they had bunchs of morgans. Check em out and get an idea what you've been buying.
Thanks brother! Are they selling any?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts