close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

introduction to a bowfin-Killbuck Creek today

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Saw Player, Jul 14, 2007.

1. I've been wanting to catch a bowfin for a while. This morning, I did. 22 inches worth. Man, those things are fun.

I had no idea what it was until I got him into the net. I'm sitting there by myself in my canoe with this thing that I think probably has teeth trying to figure out how to hold it without being bitten. Meanwhile, it's flopping around like crazy, trying to swim away in the puddle of water on the floor and wouldn't let me grab it to take the hook out. Just getting it out of the net alone was a lot of work! I wish I knew how much he weighed.

Oh, and also out of the same hole I caught 3 more bowfin and a 27" pike. The pike came on a 1/8 oz rooster tail. I was trying to catch a few chubs to use for bait at the time. It really surprised me. I thought they'd pass something that small up. It was also the first decent pike I've ever caught.

All in all it was a pretty good day. Finding a new hole was the highlight.

2. PumpUpTheBass

PumpUpTheBass JonBoatWannabe

those bowfin are darn fun to catch. I caught one weighing about 20 pounds in Florida this spring. What a fight, especially at 3 in the morning. lol Very good job.

3. I was fishing the same area and drove by your truck. Stopped to see if you were around, but you must have been out battling prehistoric monsters at the time. Sounds like a better day than I had. I got one bass and missed two. Talk to you this week Saw Player.

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

sweet, i remember the first time i caught a bowfin..it scared the hell out of me. we were catfishing at night and when i put the light on it, whaoooooo what the f#%k is that? had a few beers in me too.LOL

5. HAHAHAHA! Yeah, I know what you mean. I think my reaction was "Whoa! Demon chub!"

Don't ask. I had been in the sun all day.

6. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

While fishing Georgian Bay in Ontario one year there was another group of guys in a cabin down the way from us. They came up the path to the cabin whooping up a storm about the stringer of walleye they had caught off the dock. They had a stringer full of bowfins! The Indian guide who worked that camp stopped by complaining about the crazies in the end cabin frying up a mess of bowfins and stinkin' the whole place up....

7. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Where abouts are the bowfin concentrated? When I was in the area, the creek looked very channelized and a bit dead....Maybe I was looking in the wrong area? I would love to add bowfin and northern pike to my fish species list!

8. tyrantCraft

tyrantCraft pike fishn fool

4 the Mushijobah bowfin r everywhere in killbuck and will hit everything from rubber worm to live bait (chubs) they have a death roll thats like no other u get back around here let me know and i can direct u 2 some of the best

9. Harbor Hunter

Harbor Hunter Ranger188

The swamps around the town of Killbuck,lots of pike in there-and bowfins.

10. tyrantCraft

looking 4 big pike this time of yr around holmes co any suggestions got plenty chubs n tackle just lookn 4 hot spot always catch n release! any county surrounding holmes co will work just as well if still no ideas any where in ohio just trolling for suggestions i fish around the killbuck area already and am looking to expand my options still looking for a 40 incher got a 10lb 34incher a few yrs back still trying 2 top that!

11. tyrantCraft

harbor hunter have u had any luck yet this yr went last wk end got skunked water pretty high now

12. I Live On Coshocton Where Can I Put Small Boat With Trailer In This Area????

13. Mogadore has had quite a few bowfin come out of it over that last few years.I caught this one fishing for crappie on an ultra light rig. I thought I had a channel on or one of the muskies that they say are in there (but I have never seen).

Attached Files:

14. tyrantCraft

we usually put in at clauss lodge on 36 n float down 2 sewer plant sometimes we go 2 the dam n float 2 6mile dam either one is productive 4 smallies n some bigones 2 a pike here n there a bowfin every now n then but a lot of fun regaurdless how the fish r bitin you r lookn at about a 6hr float either one u take u can also go east on 36 n put in n float the musk in about the same amount of time

15. tyrantCraft

Thats a huge bowfin my biggest was 7lbs n wow what a fight do u know where they origanated from or what there good for besides stealn your pike minnow or mangling your spinner bait?

16. The head is more or less flattened on top and the mouth is large. The teeth are sharp and strongly set in the jaws. Weights of 6 to 8 pounds or more are commonly attained. The swim bladder serves as a lung, giving the bowfin air breathing capability.The ability to breathe air is attained early in life and is used most frequently at night and when water temperature is high, coinciding with periods of greatest activity. The bowfin is able to survive prolonged air breathing periods. Young bowfin have been observed surviving for 21 days in a pond with no standing water. The bowfin is primarily carnivorous, feeding largely on fishes of all kinds, frogs, crayfish, large insects and their larvae, leeches and other aquatic life.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has placed the bowfin on its list of candidates for the endangered species list.

I obviously didnt write that stuff up there. I looked it up. I never knew they could breathe air and survive out of the water for so long. wow!

17. Amia calva-The bowfin is a primitive type fish and the sole representative of an ancient fish family dating from the Jurassic period, appx. 180 million years ago.

Ha! I forgot that part.

18. tyrantCraft

thanks paintED i new they could live out of water 4 a longtime when i was a youngster many moons ago we would catch em and leave em on the bank n go back the next day they they would still b breathing Amazing info anyhow thanx if i could only get some pike info like that i would sure appreciate it i always heard that bowfins r the oldest fish never really new they must b tough surviving that many yrs