Intersting Walleye Stat

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by harle96, Dec 11, 2007.

1. harle96

harle96 Draggin Meat

Posted by the In-Fisherman:

"During a certain period PWT contestants fished 99,819 hours in tournament competetion. Only 13- 10 lb walleyes and 2- 11 lb were weighed in by by some of the country's top anglers fishing some of the top waters. That's an average of 6,655 hours per 10 lb'er and 49,910 hours per 11 pounder".

I think OGF put up some better numbers than that.:D :D

Puts everything in perspective and goes to show how lucky we are to have a resource like Erie.

2. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

Puts everything in perspective and goes to show how lucky we are to have a resource like Erie.[/QUOTE]

THAT sums everything up perfect- i get called crazy for calling those 7-8 lbers "small or average"

3. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

Quite interesting indeed! Sort of makes you look at Erie in a whole new light. Nice to know it's ours and oh so close!

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

and they are going to be EVEN BIGGER this comming season.:B

5. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

Yesss they are, i figure the 03's should all be around 8lbs at the minimum- what say you? most of the ones from this past year were around 4-6lb or so.

6. ezbite

i hope to catch some smaller ones too. but not to many:p

7. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

8. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

9. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

The 2003 will be 5's at the biggest, at this point in there life growth slows down some, they will grow about 1 inch per year and 3/4-1 pound, once they get to the 27-29 range they slow up even more. They don't grow as fast as might some think they would.

10. snake69

For someone like me who is used to fishing places like Mosquito and Berlin, where 5-6 lbers aren't the norm, those numbers look quite good. And this year, I won't be waiting until August to start fishing Erie! Hope to start in mid March or so. I'm sure I'll get a "heads up" from the folks here on when I should start.

11. K gonefishin

start fishing when the ramps open up and you can get around on the lake. This march alot of OGFers went out and you had to drive careful not to hit ice chunks and be sure not to get stuck in icebergs talking about taking a detour route to get to your spot I had to go at least 5 miles out of the way to get to the reefs and back from Catawba. Boy was it interesting but we got our limit and had fun. There was a 30 foot ice berg stuck on cone or crib reef. Lots of pictures where taking that weekend.

12. ezbite

come on kim, give the guy a break...;) after all, his scooling DID come from the coast guard:p

13. Yes...but they should have posted the information for the tourney in which the PWT (or was it FLW) Pros killed 340+ 10#+ fish at the scales a few years back on a very strange 80 degree weekend in April...

14. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

:p :p :p :p squiiiids- i couldnt see the chart right, i was wearing those shades you gave me, those things gotta go :p :p :p

15. K gonefishin

it was the PWT. That tourney's records still hold for the most 10's, 12's and most 40 and 50 pound bags, Ted Takasaki still holds the record 53. something pounds for 5 fish, I went back and looked, alot of 50 pound bags during that event. When the 2003 fish are that size look out, we will once again be catching 10 pounders often, those fish that where that size when that tourney took placed are all dead now, some giants in the 33-34 inch range still swimming around but not to many.

16. here she is.

Attached Files:

17. Those figures are definitely a product of when and where they fish and not angler skill. If they (PWT) come back to Erie in April, that ratio will change drastically! They won't do 'em like they did in the late '90s and early 00's-there's just not as many large fish in the system now as there were then, but there are still a lot compared to sites like Lake Winnebago, Devils Lake, the Upper Missouri River impoundments, etc.

Most '03 'eyes this season in the Western Basin were roughly 3-4 lb, some over 4 lb by fall.. Most will be 4-5+ lb next year. There are abberations (runts and giants) I've noticed the farther east you go on Erie the quicker the fish grow, though it's not a huge difference.

Tim

18. harle96

harle96 Draggin Meat

I couldn't agree with you more. ...just my my cheap way of comparing their worst days to my best days.:D :D

You would think the magazine would back it up with some sort of dates or explanantion why these stats were so low, I don't think they did the PWT any favors by publishing those numbers.

Interesting read, nonetheless.

Dave

19. I didn't see the article and wonder what the point was since I know for a fact that in the 2 years I fished it that more than that were caught on Erie alone and the fish in Green Bay are even bigger than here.

I wonder what years it encompassed as well. They ran 150 boats and that equals 3600 hours per tourney or about 5-6 years. They now run 120 boats and that is about a 6-7 year period. I'm not buying it unless they are just figuring a river system somewhere that a 10 pounder is a miracle fish.

They must be trying to make someone somewhere feel good about not having a 10 yet.

20. snake69

Thanks for putting that pic up. Man, that's one hell of a 'berg! Looks big enough to sink the Titanic! Won't get nowhere close to something that big! Well....maybe close enough to get a pic like you, but that's about it!!