Interesting morning

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DarbyMan, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarbyMan

DarbyMan Seize the day

I just have to get this off my chest.

This morning I took my usual morning walk/jog around 5 am. As I was coming around the the second turn in my neighborhood I saw a sherrif deputy standing in the middle of the road. I immediatly figure they are looking for someone and think about turning around but he has already spotted me. So, not wanting to look like I was running away I kept going, confident that common sense would prevail. As I get closer I keep waiting to here " stop" or "identify yourself" or something along those lines. He stands there quietly, looking at me. So now I say "good morning officer". At this point I'm expecting some kind of reply like "can I ask you a few questions" . Needless to say I am stunned when he pulls out his hand cannon and tells me to stop, turn around and put my hands on my head. I stop and look at him like he's nuts so he screams louder this time and steps towards me with his gun pointed at me

Now I'm staring down the barrel of a hot headed cops gun. And the way this guys acting I'm waiting to get shot or kicked or tackled or whatever else gives cops the jollies.

This is not what I was expecting. So I comply and he pats me down and asks the standard questions. Things get figured out and he lets me go. Apparently someone's car got broken into and the cops were combing the area.

My whole issue is with his freaking gun. I really don't think that was necessary and frankly I'm a bit PO'd. I've never had a gun in my face by some cop, I figured they had to have some kind of justification to pull a weapon. Oh, let me guess, he felt threatened (standard cop response).

Anyway, thats been bugging me all day. I apologize to any PROFESSIONAL cops out there who know how to treat people with respect.

2. I would have been about 5 pounds lighter after that. ;) :eek: :D Plus had a wet spot in the front of my pants. I'm not sure about proceedure but I'd think that was a little out of line.

3. fishnfool

fishnfool out4dabig1

It's a good thing you didn't have head phones on, or you might have took a couple lead injections!%

4. I would report it. If you were just walking along minding your own business then he had no justification to pull his gun on you. You did right by keeping your cool and doing just as he said and showing him the respect that is due to an officer of the law but now I would contact the sherrifs dept. and report the issue because you deserved to be treated with respect also and not hassled by a bully with a badge.

5. He was just scared of you- that jogging outfit must of been offensive..

6. Wow!! That would get your attention first thing in the morning. I don't know what the policy is as I am not in LE but its sounds like a bit of an overreaction on the officers part. I guess I could see him getting a bit froggy if they were looking for a armed robber or known armed individual but a suspect breaking into cars does not seem to warrant that reaction.?.?

7. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I would definatly report him, he would get in trouble.

Maybe this is just because I'm still sour over the BS ticket I got on Monday though.

8. JignPig Guide

JignPig Guide Fishing Guide

9. hope you got a badge number or name. You really should report it. Even if the department does nothing about it this time at least it will be on record if something like this happens again. I'm sure it is not that department's or any other police departments policy to point a weapon at a civilian with out proper cause. If the situation went down like you said (and I have no reason to beleive other wise) then there was no reason for that officer to put your life in danger like that.

10. After re-reading your post and thinking about it. Maybe you should have left the "Good" part off. Maybe his morning hasn't been very good and he was a little cranky. :D I mean standing outside at 5 in the morning doesn't sound like a good start or end to a shift.

11. DarbyMan

DarbyMan Seize the day

The jogging outfit is funny. Although I doubt threatening would be a way to describe it, I'd say more like violenly ill.:D

I have thought about reporing it/call in complaint. I really feel like the guy went to far by brandishing his weapon. I think he knew it to, as I was walking away he said "were cool right?" to which I did NOT respond.

For the most part I'm real disappointed with the police. Where I live we get the sherrif, and I have talked to some officers, in their vehicles while I was jogging. They seemed like pretty good people. And oh yea, the what ifs have been going through my mind all day.

Thanks for letting me vent.

12. chet

chet

Make a report to the shift commander. If he had felt the need to unholster and point the weapon at or in your direction that means you were a threat to his safety. If you were not restrained to be questioned and searched you were clearly not a threat.

13. If that were me and the cop asked if we were "cool" I would have replied "we'll see after court". That sounds totally and completely out of line! A weopon being drawn is always a LAST resort once an identified threat is imminent. I think I would be contacting a lawyer! Hopefully you were in view of the dash camera!

14. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

if that would have happened to me there would be no i have thought about reporting him, there would be a report filed and dont forget it would be his word against yours.

15. I personally would not report anything about the incident, at least you had a cop there looking out for your neighborhood and doing something alone. In this day and time it is a wonder he didn't just follow you till he had assistance and then confronted you with help. At least he wasn't fluirting with the nearest donut bagger. You may just have some one on the ball working for you that still would like to see his family when he gets off work. Just my .02.

16. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

you could report it, but why, i doubt it would do YOU any good. it would be on record and thats it.

i do not agree with him pulling his weapon and pointing it at you, that was clearly wrong, i mean c'mon if you were the one breaking into cars, would you jog by the police?

17. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

You must've looked similar to someone that once shoved him in his locker or gave him a swirlee. :p

18. Clearly a Fourth Amendment violation. We should all be outraged by such behavior.

19. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

We should be outraged that people are outraged because a police officer was doing his job.

The world would be a safer place if there were more officers like him.

20. athensfishin'

athensfishin' Fighting the Man

Safer except for the innocent people getting guns shoved in their face. I'd love to hear your outlook if this happened to you or someone in your family. He is supposed to be a professional, pointing a gun at someone who is jogging overkill, power trip plain and simple.

Were talking petty theft here not armed robbery. Next thing you know it will be acceptable to mace and club people who jay-walk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.