Interesting Fishing Resource

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Frustrated, May 24, 2007.

1. Frustrated

Frustrated Kris

Has anyone downloaded and used Google Earth to check out fishing spots? It provides satelite images that you can zoom in on. I used it to zoom in on a few of my fishing spot. Its pretty handy.

If you take a look at places like Antrim you can see some features that you can't really see from the ground. Its pretty cool to see what some spots look like from above. The picture is so good that I zoomed in on our house and could see my car parked in the driveway. I've been zooming in on places all night....the goldengate bridge...the coluseum in Rome....the pyramids in Egypt....the Taj Mahal in India...the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

Just wanted to let you guys know about it....kinda neat.

2. Was that you lookin' in my window?

3. Frustrated

Frustrated Kris

haha....not quite powerful enough to look in windows.

Dkilla - Ive used yahoo/google/mapquest before. But often all you get is a blue blotch. sometimes lakes or bodies of water dont even show up on the map. With google earth you can see everything as if you are in a helicopter looking at it from above.

This summer Im going to Canada on a fishing trip for pike and walleye. Most of the lakes we are fishing dont show up on maps, but you can find them with google earth.

4. I dont have a boat so I rely so much on the maps to find my new spots.

I use google maps a lot but you guys have to check the http://maps.live.com

I think its better and you gotta love the "birds eye view"! So far, its the only one I know that has this perspective aerial view.

http://maps.live.com/?q=&mkt=en-us&FORM=LVCP

5. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

you can switch it to sattelite mode and it is exactly like google earth. IMO its the best way to go since you can use the map mode to easily find roads/access points then switch over to sattelite and find the structure in the lake/river/whatever.

6. Frustrated

Frustrated Kris

In the original post I accidently said Google world....but its Google Earth...sorry.

7. Switch to satellite mode in the upper right corner of the map...gives you the same view as google earth. Plus u can click the "link to this page" button...you browser will isolate the URL to show the frame that you are currently viewing so you can copy and paste it on a forum or email it to a friend to show where you are fishing. ;)

For instance....here's a shot of the dam @ O'Shaunessy: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=DUBLIN,+OH&ie=UTF8&ll=40.154212,-83.125348&spn=0.007807,0.014462&t=k&z=16&om=1

8. Frustrated

Frustrated Kris

I guess that shows the same images Dkilla. I didnt know that.

Unfortunately these aren't live images....or even fairly recent images. I've noticed that some of the images you see are at least a year old. For example, if you look at the ohio state university...the gateway center hasn't been built in the pictures....but its been there for over a year now.

It would be great if these images were constantly updated. You'd be able to check water levels before venturing out.

9. Yea...you are correct...actually, there are well over a year old. Look at the Polaris parkway area....theres ALOT of stuff missing!

Yea...if the images were live checking water levels would be great, however it would then also a great tool for our wives a girlfriends to spy on us!!

10. LOL, fortunately for me, I have an anti-satelite detection capsule implant so my wife will not be able to track me :D

11. One thing I do notice there is that some of the photographs were taken at different times than others...zoom in and scroll down the river...pay attention to how the frames/angles change from time to time and notice the difference in water clarity. Some sections look like chocolate milk while others look like the water does right now. Also...in some of the pics the trees are green and full of leaves others look like autumn.

12. Oh yeah! Let the fun begin. So you noticed! Good eyes! My co-workers here have been going crazy looking for some weird stuff they can find. You're absolutely right! They probably took pictures at different times and who knows how long the time difference that some buildings in city pictures looks just scary like leaning so low with shadow on different angles.

But, I can't complain about the resolution. It's the best so far I know.

13. It's funny to look at big construction sites....for instance, 161 just east of 270. That project has been going on for years but from the looks of things I'd say these pics were taken about a year and a half ago.

14. LOL! So I'm not the only one looking at these maps on these areas!!! W00t!

There one more funny thing I found out just killing time looking at these maps. Found a building with a target !% paint on top of the building. Come to find out, the building was a target store.

15. Yea...they do that at alot of Targets that are near airports. If I remember correctly, theres one on the aproach from the west into CLE.