Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
still looking for a gps...alot of reports im getting are that the internal ant units lose signal often...but yet we never lose it on a handheld on erie!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
wave, i got the lowrance 334c with the internal antenna and haven't lost a signal yet. it even works with the boat sitting in the garage. so far so good.:)

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!!! i found a garmin 162 w/int ant for $170 with pc cord and all what do you guys think???

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
A little advice. I have the Lowrance LMS332C with an external antenna. I mounted it on an antenna mount on the front of my boat. If I had to do it over again I would buy the ram mount that put your GPS receiver on the back of the ram mount. You do not have to drill extra holes in your boat and it also makes it more versatile so if you have a smaller boat all you do is move it back and forth. Only expense you will have is to buy a transducer and a power source. If I want to move it to my smaller boat now, I have to fork out the money for another GPS receiver (over $200.00).

I am not sure how the internal antennas work, but it sound like a great idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now i;m really stumped!!! a gps has a TRANSDUCER????:confused:

·
STX 206 Viper
1,862 Posts
Same as mach1, I have the LMS334i and have never lost signal. Mine also picks up in the garage. It even picked up a signal in the basement when I was playing with it prior to installation.
Brian

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
now i;m really stumped!!! a gps has a TRANSDUCER????:confused:
I was giving you my experience with an external vs internal antenna. Thinking ahead I guess if anyone else would be faced with the same situation. Just trying to help out.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,956 Posts
Same as mach1, I have the LMS334i and have never lost signal. Mine also picks up in the garage. It even picked up a signal in the basement when I was playing with it prior to installation.
Brian
i'll third that.....i too have the LMS 334i. only lost the signal once and that was when the spoon box got passes over it:eek: it is truly a great unit!!!IMO

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
if he has a transducer then it would be a combo unit, ff/gps. i just baught the garmin 172 w /int antenna and it bigger and much better than a handheld. the basemap works on the lake and highway. the mount has a quick release and i put a ciggarette lighter plug on it so i can take and use it in the car. and remove it from both places for security reasons too.the unit itself has features that i most likely will never use.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
warrior,

The only internal antena GPS that I've heard of having reception problems were the Lowrances of a year or two ago. They may have fixed the problem...or maybe not-I don't know. I've never heard anyone with a Garmin internal antena with that problem. My Garmin 182 locks quickly and has never lost reception on Lake Erie. The only real reason (that I can think of) to have an internal antena is to be able to use the GPS in multiple vehicles.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts