close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Insurance Question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fishingredhawk, Jun 19, 2005.

1. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Two questions. First, am I required to insure my trailer? Second, am I required to carry liability insurance on my boat? I have an alum. 12ft. with 9.9 HP. Thanks guys.

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

there are no laws that i know of,that reqiure insurance.

3. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Thanks guys, appreciate it

4. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

Dont be fooled ! You will be better of if you get insurance . "example" Although you are towing your boat on the trailer , your auto insurance may not have to replace the boat and motor due to them being specified as cargo ! :( Lets just say that you are out on the lake with a freind . A large boat comes by and makes a huge wake and you capsize and your buddy drowns . You may find out real fast that you are being sued by his family . :( Not a good situation to be in for sure , but at least you wont be fileing for bankrupsy !

If it were me , I would spend the $60-$70 per year and get insureance on your boat , trailer and motor . Its not alot of $$$ to aviode what could happen .

5. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

also make sure your insurance covers recovery and possibly a hazmat cleanup, if your boat capsizes and leaks gas in the lake. ask exexec . ha says he just got a large bill for recovery ,no doubt.

6. I have boat us towing and this was considered a "salvage" which means about 4K for a mile tow job plus plus plus plus.I didnt get my boat insured yet-( stupid) so yes I have huge bill to figure out what to do with.

7. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I agree with hydrasport. Get the insurance and get it to cover your personal articles in the boat, for let say $1000.00. This would cover your gear. I have 14fter with a 9.9 and I have $1500 personal articles policy and the bill is only $60 a year.

Get it my friend, you won't be sorry. I had a guy rear-end my boat on the trailer and it was quite a hassle. My boat insurance agent took care of everything. They tracked the dead-beat down and got my money.

8. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Yes, you need it! All the reasons the members gave here are true! Items loss are pro-rated by age and they burn ya when you collect but it still helps. The insurance is cheap-BUY IT! Injure a passenger in your boat with no insurance - ouch! Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015