close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Insurance question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishintiger, Jul 26, 2004.

1. I was just wondering if I need to get insurance on my boat before I put it in the water. The only time I'm realy worried about it is when I'm trailoring it from place to place. Since I don't have a lot of money in the boat would I get something equal to liability coverage on a car? About how much is insurance for a boat? Thanks guys.

fishintiger

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Boat insurance is pretty cheap. I don't think it's mandatory, but for my 97 stratos/150hp with 15k of coverage it's like $120 a year.

3. Thanks. I wonder how much it would be for about $15 worth of coverage. :rolleyes: I'm thinking all the coverage I should need is maybe like 2K. I am going to call the insurance agent later today and ask him. Thanks again.

4. Here's what my insurance company told me when I called and asked them. When trailoring, my auto policy covers the boat and trailer. When parked at home, my home owners covers it for up to $2500. Since that's about all I've got in it, it works out good. I forget now which one covers it on the water, but there was no need for me to pay any additional.

5. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

some home owners will cover small boats, my thought is you have to have some type of liability insurance to cover you on the water what happens if you run into or rub a 50,000 dollar plus boat at the ramp and the guy wants it fixed.
    however you always want to check because a guy at work had a trailor incedent were he jackknived a 25' sail boat and ruined the trailor and 5ft crack in the boat. His insurance put it to him said his coverage only covered what was towed which was the trailor so they gave him $500 bucks. The boat was cargo they said and not covered it also cost him $3000 to have a flat bed and crane come out and get the boat.

6. catking

catking Banned

I believe it would be wise to have liability on the water as F4F noted. If you hit someone/hurt someone on the water, this is the only type of insurance that will cover you. It's pretty cheap. CATKING

7. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Get it in writing

8. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Add it to your home owners policy. Mine is covered for full replacement, and it runs me about $90.00 per year added to my homeowners. Just a note also: If you ever fish a tournament that has anything to do with bass, FLW, or most organized groups you have to have at least $100,000 Liability.

9. I would surely get insurance if LakeRaider is in the same body of water as you......LOL............. Sorry LakeRaider couldn't resist.......... Rich