Installing a kicker motor?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by PhattyB, Jun 8, 2008.

1. I'm looking at buying a Tracker Targa that has I/O Mercruiser 3.0

I want to be able to install a 9.9hp kicker motor with a steering link to the Mercruiser so that I can drive the kicker from the helm.

Furthermore, if possible, I should get a (long shaft) four-stroke kicker to tap off the same fuel tank, correct?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I don't know much about mechanics to begin with.. even more especially boat mechanics. I'll be paying to have this work done, I just need to know if it's possible before I buy the boat. I'm more adapted to electronics :)

2. just make sure you get a quality mount that will lift the motor out of the water ..and yes you can run off the same fuel lines

3. Thank you. I just needed to know for certain about steering link from the I/O Mercruiser to the kicker.

Any recommendations on which mount?

4. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Maybe the A.O.Y. will chime in here. He had posted a link to a relatively inexpensive one. Or you could always send him (Hetfieldinn) a PM. ;)

5. The only connector link for steering for an IO to an outboard that I know of is the EZ Steer unit. Cabelas has them.

Tapping into the fuel line on an IO will be a bit trickier than 'T'ing off of an outboard fuel line, but it can most likely be done.