close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Inside hull mounted transducers

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Crazy4Smallmouth, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Hi,

I bought a boat that has a Garmin transducer mounted inside the hull at the stern of the boat. It has worked fine for two seasons, but at the end of the year my depth finder was acting up. I checked the transducer and realized that it was just sitting in what I will call a mold made out of some kind of resin material. My question is, should my transducer be mounted in a permant way, as if it was afixed or gluded, by the resin material? I was surprised that it was just sitting in the resin mold loosely. In other words, I could simply pull it out of the resin (which is cured and hard) then slip it back into its mold again. Anyway, after I removed it and put it back again it worked fine and hasn't given me any more problems. Is this normal? It seem to me that it should be stuck to the bottom of the boat in a more secure way.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. try putting some clear silicone on it and put it back in the pocket of resin!Put something like a board or brick on top of it til it drys.If it doesn't work your not out nothing and you don't have much of a mess to clean up.If you put it in with resin and get a air bubble it won't read right and hard to get back out!

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

BigMerc just gave some great advice. On my old boat (I bought it used), it too had a through hull mounted transducer, and it was expoxied in. It was older unit, that stopped working on me (it was the transducer), so I needed to replace it. I tried removing the old one so I could through hull mount the new one, and it was going NOWHERE. I was afraid it was going to pull up fiberglass and foam, so I just cut the cable and left it alone, mounted the new one on the transom.

Through hull is great when it's working.

4. Thanks guys,

I will have to wait til sping to do anything now, but I'll give the silicone a try when it warms up a bit.