Insect Pillars / Eastwood Smallie

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by KevinAce, Sep 19, 2007.

1. KevinAce

KevinAce Suckfest Fisherman

I was out at Eastwood tonight from about 7 PM to 10 PM & managed to snag my first decent small mouth. I am an amateur & am pretty happy to get anything on the line (watermelon seed trick worm, 18 ft deep). I was pleasantly surprised when I brought in this 2 lb, 5 oz smallie (sorry for the crappy picture...was a cell phone at night).

[​IMG]

Regardless, has anyone seen the "bug pillars" (just what I call them) coming off of the northern shore? Off off the tree tops...it's solid bugs that make up columns about 2-3 ft wide & 30-50 ft tall. It sort of looks like smoke...but apparently it's insects. Anyone seen this before? Anyone know what it is exactly, and why they do it?

The only information I could find about what it might be is here: http://www.answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=348203

2. fisherman5567

fisherman5567 Fishin Everyday

Ive seen that and always wondered what it is, i am a bank fisherman so never went over there to look.....I am suprised to hear that there are smallies in Eastwood, didnt know that...good to know.

3. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

those bugs are dipterids,or ,in anglers terms, midges. That's a mating flight you're seeing,a massive airborne orgy of insects.Be glad they're above the trees,one place I fish they're right at water level and they get in your eye's,ears,nose.mouth,down your shirt...just glad they don't bite!TC1

4. from my experiences at eastwood...there is this blue pond towards the back if you follow the road. i have seen smallies being pulled ot of there in the 15inch plus range. i've personally havent been too successful there but every once in a while..they swing by the shore so u can see them.

5. KevinAce

KevinAce Suckfest Fisherman

I pulled mine out of the main lake along route 4, about 40 ft off the shore opposite the dock. I've been fishing there for months & this is my first decent hit so it may be the only one in there!