close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Insane-Report (monster escapes again)

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by INSANE_SQUAD, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Corey and i hit the G.M.R Saturday night..The river was at good levels,flow looked good but water was tainted,well muddy and river was dropping..I was not sure of our out come this fine evening..

Our bait looked good and was ready to go..I took the early lead on Corey and had 2 flats on the bank before night fall..Corey came back strong with the next 2..Then i decided to use the giant bait a 18" sucker that i had to double hook and use 12 oz of weight to keep it from roaming free and snagging me up..About an hour later i was hearing my sucker being attacked and the bait clicker was ringing in the sweet sound..I let it run until it stopped and i was pissed off because i thought i waited to long..Then off it goes again and i set the hook..WOW like setting a hook into a tree..OH MY i yelled to corey this one is a monster..The fish headed to the current and i was ok with that not many snagges out there..I was working the fish walking down the bank and i never could turn or even budge this fish.Then it did an about face and headed full speed to the ledges i was working the drag to slow it down with absolutely no effect..As it went for the ledge i free spooled the reel and was going to hope for the best and not have my line snap on the sharp rocks..It was not doing any thing so i put the clicker back on and put it back into the rod holder and waited..

About 10 min later it slowly headed for the rapids again and i tried with all my effert to turn him to me on the bank..Once he felt the hook again off to the ledge again and i free spooled it again but this time i could feel my line was really being damaged and i got a sick feeling in my gut and it happened..No snap no tug just my line was cut on the rocks and no fish..The line i use i feel is the stongest of all line..I use Ande 30# test but it could not hold up being dragged across the rocks over and over...

I am positive i had this same fish on my line 3 years ago with the same results..I have caught many 30# fish but i have never had one on my line this big..I have even caught a few 40"s in the Missouri river but not one this big..There is a monstrous flattie out there in the GMR somewhere and if someone ever catches it i hope they put it back..

Corey had lost 2 large fish also 1 into the ledges and the other into an underwater tree or something like that..

All in all was a good night we banked 6 and lost another 7-8..

Side note: I dislike softshell turtles..

Insane------out

2. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

Phil, I sure do hope you catch that beast soon. I want to know how big it really is.

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

You are a good story teller, I enjoyed reading it....I hope you catch that fish one of these days.

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Great story Insane. Did Corey try to help you out or was he takin' his beauty Nap? Remember he's gonna be older here VERY SOON!!

5. dip

dip dip

after reading it i cut bout 4' off the end of my everyday roddz and replaced the leaders. been needing too as they were worn. ever thought about trying power pro line? doc uses the 100# that's the size of 20# mono.... could help you turn that monster.

6. GREAT READ!!!
    I felt like I was there... felt "a sick feeling in my gut" too as I got to that part...
    Awesome as at was I'll take that over "not at all"..

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

8. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

GREAT READ i bet your still shaking!!

9. well insane your aventually going to hook into that beast and land him.... good luck... i myself just got back from the GMR... tonight i landed 6 under 10lbs.... my buddy landed on about 10 lbs.... sat night.... my buddy landed 6 biggest 14lbs... and i landed one... 4 lbs.... i guess i cant really complain i am catching...lol... also finally got to meet some ppl from the site... met gmrkatman and gmr guy tonight and we fished together until me and my buddy had to leave.. good luck and lets hope that gmr guy and gmrkatman landed a good one.... was good meeting you two..... GO TEAM OGF GMR CATMEN....

good luck...

john

10. Great story Insane. It's too bad it didn't have a happy ending. That must have got your heart racing when you knew something was going after your big bait.

Me and GMRKATMAN ran into CatfishJohn and company. They were kind to let us share the bank with them. I enjoyed fishing and talking with everybody. We ended up staying until 2:45. We managed to catch a one as catfishjohn was leaving and two more after that. My last flattie was a skinny, very hardfighting 33" 14 lber. So that makes about 12 or 13 fish caught amongst all four of us - not bad. I'm sure we woukd have caught more had we stayed. All of the fish were hooked in the corner of the mouth and released unharmed. It was good to share the bank with those who have equal enthusiasm and respect for the fish.

11. Man, wish I could have been there just to see you fight that fish Insane. Get him to the bank, I'm dying to hear that story! To catfish john, Chance, and gmr_guy, it was a good night being on the river together. Hope to see you again soon.

12. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Sounds like an awesome night even with the heart break, or should I say, line break! :D

I had a very similar thing happen to me on the Wills Creek. I could not turn him or gain any ground. He owuld pull me all around. up stream in some rather swift current too. Then I could feel the rock it went around and cut the line. I guess most of us have had trips like this. I guess it is part of what keeps us going for them!