close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Insane Hunter!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewis, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

What a crazy and sad turn of events...

BIRCHWOOD, Wis. - A deer hunter shot and killed five people and injured three others in northwestern Wisconsin following a dispute about a tree stand during the hunt’s opening weekend, authorities said.

The 36-year-old alleged gunman, who lives in the Minneapolis area, was arrested Sunday afternoon, Sawyer County sheriff’s officials said. Jake Hodgkinson, a deputy at the county jail, identified the suspect as Chai Vang but would give no additional details.

The incident began when two hunters were returning to their rural cabin on private land in Sawyer County when they saw the suspect in one of their hunting platforms in a tree, County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. A confrontation and shooting followed.

It’s not known who shot first, Zeigle said.

Both hunters were wounded and one of them radioed to the cabin a quarter mile away. Other hunters responded and were shot. About 20 shots were fired, but it’s unclear who shot them, he said.

The dead included four males — including a teenage boy — and a woman, Zeigle said. A father and son were among them, he said. Some of the victims were shot more than once.

All five, from the Rice Lake area, were dead when officers arrived to the area in southwestern Sawyer County, he said. Authorities found two bodies near each other and the others were scattered over 100 yards.

“It’s absolutely nuts. Why? Over sitting in a tree stand?” asked Zeigle.

Zeigle said the suspect was “chasing after them and killing them,” with a SKS 7.62 caliber semiautomatic, a common hunting weapon. Wisconsin’s statewide deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.

Two young people who stayed in the cabin emerged safely after the shootings.

The suspect, who did not have a compass, got lost in the woods and two hunters, not knowing about the shootings, helped him find his way out, Zeigle said. When he emerged, a Department of Natural Resources officer recognized the deer license on his back, given to police by a victim, Zeigle said.

The man was out of bullets and was arrested, Zeigle said.

One of the injured hunters was in critical condition at St. Joseph’s Hospital. Another was listed in serious condition and the third was in fair condition, both at Lakeview Medical Center.

Hunter Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters. After they got word of the shooting, he and others went to round up the rest of the party. He said they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and noticed the surrounding roads blocked off.

“When you’re hunting you don’t expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you,” he said. “You have no idea who is coming up to you.”

It took about three hours to round up the other hunters, who were up to four miles apart, Wagner said. “We’re all old, dyed-in-wool hunters,” he said. “We wouldn’t go home because of this but we will keep it in our minds. We’re not forgetting it.”

2. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Yes I just read this, UN-FREAKIN BELIEVABLE!! :mad: :confused:

I don't know what else to say........... :confused:

3. catking

catking Banned

Nothing suprises me anymore..... What a sad story.......... CATKING :(

4. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

it is sad that things like this happen in todays world. Very scary indeed

5. Good Lord ...... what is it with all the nut balls around anymore????????

6. It will be very interestng to see how this story unfolds. The man arrested was identified as Chai Vang. He is from the St. Paul area.

7. Dingo

Dingo

Wisconsin is facing a wildlife management issue with a large group of Vietnam refugees called the Hmongs. Some will take wildlife with blatant disregard to the wildlife guidelines and rules, both hunting and fishing. I fly fish in western Wisconsin each spring, and was recommeded to 'stay away' from a stream that I fished successfully in the past, saying it was "Hmonged out". Going there anyway, I found out first hand. Many dozen folks converged on the stream, spread out, and kept everything that was caught using live worms, including most being undersized (6" or less) brown trout. They would surround you, not speaking/understanding any english (or so they seemed to say) and would cast into your line/stand behind you to disallow a backcast, until you left. You couldn't start any confrontation -- there were too many of them. As we were leaving, they set a large bonfire in the middle of the creek's only marked access point (parking lot) and wouldn't let anyone pull in.

Telling our story at camp that night, the locals had other instances of hunting and fishing confrontations that sometimes ended in serious injuries or worse. Hunting is the same way as the fishing -- have a group take over a property (private or otherwise), and push others out. So, a story like this doesn't suprise me.

Vang is a very common last name for the Hmongs. Hope that this isn't the case, since it will only make a tense situation between the locals and the Hmongs worse.

8. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I have a really good way to solve that situation. It's called INS. You break a law in this country and you go bye-bye - back to the crappy place you came from. No room for error. Zero tolerance.

9. Beyond sad. My thought and prayers are with those families. I hate to think what PETA and the other people haters will make of this. Since when did an SKS 7.62 become a common "hunting weapon"?

10. Exactly what I was wondering.

11. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I know of four guys at work who use them for groundhog, and deer in W.V., etc.

12. What a loss of life for nothing more than stupid people. Do not focus on the gun but the idiot holding it.

13. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Truer words have not been spoken!!

14. No one said it was the gun's fault. Folks were just making an observation over the "common" reference. That was all.

It is a horrible waste and a very sad story.

15. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

My buddy has an SKS and its not exactly the most accurate thing in the world. I agree, do not focus on the gun but the COMPLETE IDIOT holding it.

16. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

17. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

18. Judging by the SKSs I have shot you would have to be a complete idiot to hunt deer with one. Fun to shoot at targets or varmints but I would not trust the ones I have shot for deer hunting.

The point is, the last thing I need is some jackass reporter getting people to believe every deer hunter is going into the woods with an SKS.

19. I agree, the focus should not be on the gun but fully on the ba***** with the gun. Obviously it could have been any gun. I was just surpised with the quote, thats all...

I assume that the state of Wisconsin has no Death penalty? A life sentance sounds too lenient.

20. OK, I'm greatful that they were allies in the vietnam war. But this is a new generation of Hmong. And by their past struggles the children must have heard alot of the war stories that furthered their distrust and hardness. We don't owe them anything now. After reading post about Wisconsin, it just freakes me. I hope this hmong dude pays for his uncivilized acts of down right murder. They need to be stopped, from disregarding the laws of our great country. It's the bad seeds that need to be culled out. Wisconsin must be asleep at the wheel to turn a blind eye to their distruction of wildlife and fix it. It's a very sad story indeed. May God be with the victim's familys.