Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have caught some perch at a few inland lakes but curious if anyone targets them away from Lake Erie? If you do are you getting numbers or quality of fish? Not looking for secrets or details but maybe a lake that you find them at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
Salem's Reservoir. I haven't fished this lake in years, but I do remember early in the season, they had more than average sized perch caught using minnows on the bottom.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My favorite fish, there are a lot at mosquito but there not Erie size perch. I have caught some nice ones in Milton, but I have a hard time finding them schooled up there. And I have caught them on Berlin on the shallow flats. We caught monsters on Erie last year, but only about 200 of them. Every year the numbers go down on Erie. And it took us a lot of time to catch those 200.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
I have caught some perch at a few inland lakes but curious if anyone targets them away from Lake Erie? If you do are you getting numbers or quality of fish? Not looking for secrets or details but maybe a lake that you find them at.
Type "Moggie Gold" into the NE Ohio "Search" function at top of this page(Click the 3bar icon). You'll get Two Threads(one fairly recent) with where and how to start finding(some) inland perch as nice as Lake Erie "used to" produce! Putting "numbers" together might take considerable effort but these two "expert" (very familiar w/both!) fishermen did it. Got to wonder if they might not do it more often??

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My favorite fish, there are a lot at mosquito but there not Erie size perch. I have caught some nice ones in Milton, but I have a hard time finding them schooled up there. And I have caught them on Berlin on the shallow flats. We caught monsters on Erie last year, but only about 200 of them. Every year the numbers go down on Erie. And it took us a lot of time to catch those 200.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
There’s some absolute giant perch in skeeter. Caught and seen a few first hand. Mainly though the ice, but there are brutes in mosquito!

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
I've written this a dozen times on here over the years so if you've read it before, simply-move on.
And that's my recommendation for 'finding' inland perch-"keep moving"! Unlike Erie, where perch are located under huge schools of baitfish((or emerging insect larvae!) that are more "stationary"(spelled-"accessible" longer!) due to gamefish herding/grouping them(or they're feeding on microscopic foodsources), the inland perch constantly have to keep moving like small "marauding Wolf packs"! If you get a couple, when they move(and 99.9% of the time, they will!), the bite just quits! They are gone "somewhere else", looking for more/better food, and you have to keep moving to locate another school! With really sophisticated electronics, you might be able to keep tabs on them, or those rare occasions when they stay stationary due to a good/emerging food source(like the two "examples" I noted in my previous post above). Something kept those schools under those guys, which is, indeed, a rarity on any "inland" lake! The other thing I'll pass along, "most" inland lakes have perch as nice as Anywhere-like most fish they school by size(year classes), and if you're catching "smalls", "move on" to try to find whatever you call "keepers"!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Day late and a dollar short, but the end of Feb and through March I do really well in spillways and rivers from lakes that hold them. While guys are stacked shoulder to shoulder RIGHT under the spillway trying to catch walleye they heard were biting..... Head DOWNSTREAM and find a nice deep hole and fill your bucket with yellow perch, they seem to be there ever year.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Salem's Reservoir. I haven't fished this lake in years, but I do remember early in the season, they had more than average sized perch caught using minnows on the bottom.
+1 on Salem Reservoir years ago. I have no idea what the perch fishing is like today but it sure was fun in the late 70's and early 80's.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I usually hit salem a few times a year as soon as they open
Couple years ago I caught some real nice perch and bluegill. I've still yet to see or catch a slab crappie out of there. They say they're in there though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts