inland eye tactics + poll

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Dec 4, 2008.

1. weeds

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. shallow flats

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. points/humps

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  4. deep basin areas or channel

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. other

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

where would you look first? i guess ive had the most luck on shallow flats.

also do you find that eyes pick up bait from the bottom or do you tease them up? i dont have much experience but they seem to hit for me when the bait is on the bottom.

for bait i have the best luck on jigging raps.

what tactics work for you?

2. vibe in firetiger jigged continuosly letting it hit bottom often is the ONLY way we seem to get them at piedmont...never can see and finess them off the bottom with the vex there...not sure why but out of the several i've caught there only 1 time did i mark it with the vex and it was a split second and WHAM!! fish on!!

3. I do best with jigging raps, on the edge of a channel. most of my fish come on the drop of the raps.

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

thanks for the replies guys. i dont have much experience with eyes. just dont seem to have much luck with them no matter which lake i go to. im sure every lake is different but.....hopefully this year we'll all get lots of chances to try new things.

5. swone

swone ol' pal Steve

Hey Hardwater Fan: This is a question I have been trying to answer for the last couple years myself. I have been struggling with establishing a pattern for inshore walleyes. I have tried fishing all around deep water humps and especially concentrating on the "saddles" in between them with out any luck. I have limited time to try it out the last few years because I am so busy with my two small children. This year I moved less than 5 mins away from a lake that is stocked with walleye so I hope to get more time to investigate. I have caught walleye in this lake and even seen some 5 lb fish caught. It is frustrating because I spoiled myself by going to Erie and catching a limit in an hour or so a few times through the ice. It makes it hard for me to be patient and try to learn. On Erie I have had my greatest success working two baits at the same time, dropping one while raising the other (thanks for showing me that big johnson). I also "pound" my bait into the mud which has the effect of attracting attention from a distance. My biggest weakness is when I see a fish on the vex I am not very good at enticing them. I usually do something to chase them. Most of the fish I have caught have been of the wham bam thank you ma'am variety. I went to the library last year and read a few books on the subject, but I can't recall the name of them now. I feel like I gained a great deal of knowledge, I just haven't had the time to put it to the test. If I start doing any good this winter I will send you a p.m. and give you the specifics. I would love to hear from bthomas and bigjohnson on this topic. I know they have had some great success in the past for inshore eyes (until the big lake freezes that is).

6. Swone, I do not think Brian is allowed to iice fish anymore!

7. swone

swone ol' pal Steve

sure,sure...one broken arm and he's on a short leash!

8. heres a good article from in-fisherman.
    http://www.in-fisherman.com/walleye_insider/exclusives/wi0410_IceLures/

the move they call fleeing the scene is the one I use the most. it works with any lure or bait presentation. The key is to force yourself to move the bait up and away from the fish fast enough that they have to commit to chasing and hitting it. Its hard to do at first cause you think your just taking the bait away from the fish. But with alot of practice you can turn sniffers into kamikazie biters with just a steady lift with a bit of a quivering shake. Ive had saugeye follow my bait up to within 1 ft of the hole before they bit.

9. broken ankle, bloody nose no big deal, it was my latern in 100 pieces across buckeye lake that hurt my the most! Oh Scott, I did gimp my way back out after that to West Branch so Im not totally grounded yet. Best thing I learned was to get electronics----I love my FL18 and I hear LCDs are even more addicting. A#1 though is electronics to see what they want and how they want it Id say. With a vex you can tell if rippin it is scaring them off or bringing them in or just how they are reacting to what your are doing. Im still learning on Erie but in a couple of seasons learned a ton!!! For the guys that are just bouncing off the bottom you are missing out as well, my last trip on Erie Feb 27th of 07 I caught a LOT of fish suspended 10+ft off the bottom, without electronics you have no shot at those unless its luck. So what I guess Im saying is I wont ice fish without my Vex!!

They better rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreconize!

10. ress

ress

We have had the best luck useing swidish pimples and several minnows bouncing off the bottom then lifting 2-3 ft. and letting it drop back to the bottom waiting 5 seconds and doing it all over again. Most of the fish hit while lifting as they seem to see the best looking up not down.