Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted on another thread but after I thought about it I should have posted a new one.

I am also looking at getting a kayak, Dunham's has a 12 footer. On sale for 350 I think, and I am or will try and get my work discount. Just looked on the site but couldn't find it though. It looks similar to the Islander fishing kayak.

When you say tracking, what is meant by that exactly? I have a pretty good idea what it means but want to hear from the guys who know. Also, what is the difference or advantage to having a sit in type Yak as opposed to the open seat? I was thinking the open seat would be better for fishing and mobility while in the boat?? I Kayaked the Neuse river on a 10' Old Towne and had a blast, although getting in and out proved to be a challenge! I will be fishing combination of lakes and rivers and after reading am not sure the 12' is the best option.

Can I see pics please!

·
Yak Addict!
104 Posts
Tracking is the kayaks ability to go straight when paddling, creeks and rivers this is seldom an issue. But yak fishing on Alum and Hoover you want a yak that will naturally go straight or you will get wore out easily. As for the whole SiK vs. SOT, it is a preference thing. I have a Tarpon 120 SOT which is easy to rig for fishing, easy to get on and off of. Any water that gets in can be easily drained through the scupper holes. I've had both and have come to prefer the SOT, in fact the end of this month I am buying the new Wilderness Systems Ride 115 which is a SOT that you can stand up and sight fish from because they are just that stable.

Hope I helped ya.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for clarifying that, I was a little off on my thinking but I got it now. Ok, I just wanted to see if there were major differences in the 2 types of rigs. I fell out of the Old Towne 3 times before I even got it off the ramp!

Also, what do you look for as far as the hull? I read a couple posts stating that cheaper models will split??? I would say 80-90% of my fishing will be done on the Tuscarawas river, and the hull would be a concern on some stretches of the river.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I always thought tracking refered to how the yak controlled while not paddling, like inbetween strokes, and its willingness to travel in a straight line during the pause. Guess you learn something new everyday.

I was in the market for a SOT kayak, but the fella at dicks talked me into getting this Old Town. I had already had a SIK and did not like the cramped space and trying to slide in and out of the boat. This model "Vapor" had a huge open cockpit which took that problem out of the equation for me. It was also on sell so that was also a nice factor in the equation.

If I was in the market for a new kayak , and didnt have to limit myself to 10' "size of my spare room" I would go with a 12 foot SOT. If I had to go with another 10 footer, I would buy the vapor model again.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW, thanks for the link. Good read for sure!

Galloway, that is a nice lookin Kayak thanks for posting!

I should mention I am kind of restricted as far as cost goes, I would say the 400.00 range is gonna be about all I can swing.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
gotwipers,
You can't go off of what's on Dunham's website, as they always have a lot more in the store, than is on their website. Dunham's also carrys the Future Beach Angler 12, but it was about 10# heavier than the Vapor.

I didn't get the angler model of the Vapor, due to cost. Instead I purchased the standard Vapor and installed my own flush mount rod holders, boat cleats and most recently a fishfinder (in the front section of the cockpit). It's easy to install your own accessories...plenty of videos on YouTube.

The best price I could find on an Angler model Vapor was $450 and I purchased my standard Vapor for $299. I went back and purchased another one for my brother for $279...2 weeks later. The Bellefontaine and Marysville stores were where I found them. :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well you just answered my next question, was wanting to know about registering a Kayak.....

Thanks for the info bowhunter, thats a nice lookin boat!

·
Registered
352 Posts
You do have to register them and it's $25.00. Make sure you get the blue form to do it. That way it's a single sticker instead of all the hull numbers.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I did my registration at Gander mountain. Just got back to the fishing section and they will do it right there. 22 bucks for 3 years pretty good deal.

·
Steel seeker!
227 Posts
gotwipers,
You can't go off of what's on Dunham's website, as they always have a lot more in the store, than is on their website. Dunham's also carrys the Future Beach Angler 12, but it was about 10# heavier than the Vapor.

I didn't get the angler model of the Vapor, due to cost. Instead I purchased the standard Vapor and installed my own flush mount rod holders, boat cleats and most recently a fishfinder (in the front section of the cockpit). It's easy to install your own accessories...plenty of videos on YouTube.

The best price I could find on an Angler model Vapor was $450 and I purchased my standard Vapor for $299. I went back and purchased another one for my brother for $279...2 weeks later. The Bellefontaine and Marysville stores were where I found them. :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Hye bowhunter is that wellington reservoir?? :p

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Ry440 said:
Hye bowhunter is that wellington reservoir?? :p
Ry440,
Nope...that's Ferguson, which is on the east side of Lima, next to Proctor & Gamble. :)

Bowhunter57

1 - 14 of 14 Posts