close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Info. on Alum

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CAHarvz, Sep 9, 2004.

1. What's up guys? My name is Rich and I have been reading the board here for the past few weeks. I'm from SoCal and will be coming to Columbus on business at the end of the month. I'm looking to get out on Friday evening (9/24) at Alum Creek and I'm wondering if any of you can give me any tips/advice.

It sounds like the bass, crappie and saugeye bite is pretty good this time of year, is that correct? Since I am travelling, I will probably be limited to shore fishing (unless I can rent a boat at say, 6:00 in the evening?). I also gather that either the dam or cheshire bridge are pretty hot spots. Are they primarily boater spots or are they accessible from shore? I have gleaned quite a few tips as far as tackle from the boards but do you guys have any suggestions specifically for a landlubber? I have the usual arsenal of bass stuff (i.e., spinners, cranks, bucktails, ect.) but am definitely not married to artificials (or bass for that matter). Also, is it safe to assume that noisy baits (spinners, etc.) will work in the first few hours after dark (I believe the sun sets B/W 7-7:30?).

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any help you can give if you are willing to give it up. Past experience has taught me that hooking up with the locals is the best way to avoid the skunk. On that note, if anyone is ever coming to SoCal and looking to get on tuna, sea bass, halibut, etc. I'm more than willing to oblige and have quite a few friends with boats. Again, thanks in advance for any help you can give a newbie.

Sincerely,
    Rich
    rich@steveohara.com
    949-212-7473

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Hey Rich, and welcome to the home of the Buckeyes ;)

Both areas you speak of are accessible by bank, however I would concentrate on throwing deep/suspending cranks around the dam area right around sunset if you are shorebound. The fishing at Alum right now isn't outstanding, but will progressively get better as the temps cool, hopefully soon enough for your trip, but I wouldn't count on it.

All the bass and eyes we've been catching, have been coming from 12-20 feet of water the past few weeks. Hopefully some of the guys on the board can give you some insight on the tailwaters of the dam (which is shore access only), as I've never fished them. Seems like if you hit that area just right, the eyes and muskie can be stacked in there real nicely.

Regardless, good luck and enjoy your stay man!

3. Shakedown,
    Thanks for the info man! It sounds like I will be stuck on the shore (unless someone out there is looking for a first mate!). I will definitely check out the dam area (as the water appears to be deepest there and accessible from the shore). Thanks again for your help!

Sincerely,
    CAHarvz
    -Rich-

4. If your throwing minnow baits around the riprap near the dam in the evening, especially this time of the year, there's always the chance of "Mr Muskie" biting your bait.

Check your drag.....