close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Inflatable boat?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bassmania, Mar 18, 2005.

1. What do you guys think of this? I was thinking it might work for some areas along the GMR out of the main current. I have a boat that I use for Acton Lake but since the GMR is less than a mile away it's somtimes a matter of convenience. I was thinking this might help get to some of the hard to reach places. Especially if I can attach my trolling motor to it. The reason I was looking at it is the price. I have $100 gift certificate to BPS and thought this might be worth trying. Any thoughts?

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i own a sevylor and love it.. :)

3. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

If price is a concern and you can hold off a bit, you might check out Dick's. They occassionally have 50% off on the Old Towne boats. I bought my canoe and kayak there.

The canoe was a 15' Old Towne originally about $450 and I got it for $200 during one of those half off sales, plus they had $50 off for something else.

I think my kayak was about $125 during one of those sales too. An 11' Otter by Old Towne.

I don't know much about the inflatables, but for the money I spent I am very happy with my boats.

Creewalker

4. I would be conserned about piring an inflatable on the rocks. espesialy when the water is low.I fish out of a kayak all the time in the gmr. You could find a use one for around 150-200$, or you can try new. my sister bought an old towne otter for 250$ at dicks

5. That is a low cost low end inflatable. Straight vinyl construction will be very prone to puncture. :( Just do some checking and you will see that the same size craft in rugged reinforced and coated fabric will cost a lot, lot more than the one you have referenced. Another problem with encoomy inflatables is the lack of a substantial air filled cushion between the rock you hit and your butt. :eek: No matter how slow you hit a pointed rock, it smarts, so be smart and plan on spending more or getting a solid construction craft. :)

6. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

Fishing the GMR as much as I have in the past, I'd never recommend any inflatable for that river. As a whole, the GMR is too dangerous in case something should go wrong with the inflatable. Kayaks on the other hand, go for it. I see Yaks on the river all the time. In the past 2 years, I've seen 1 inflatable on the GMR, it was laying on the rocks with a noticable rip in it. Regardless of what you choose, have fun but be safe.

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

DITTO......on the above comments. Looks like an accident waiting to happen. That's a boat you play with in a pool or lake, not a fishing boat. You might even check Ebay for one. I kick myself everytime I think about inflatables because I passed up on one in an auction about 15 years ago. It had plywood in it & I checked it out later & it was a very expensive high-end portable/inflatable boat.
    Anyway, never put your life in jeopardy. Sometimes it's easy to do on the water, I know I have at times & was lucky to survive.

8. I have a Colorado Pontoon I bought from Sam`s Club for 340.00. It is very stable on water and can take some rough water but, not white water. Just a thought.

9. I used to have an inflatable when I was a teenager back in Illinois. I only used it once in a river with any noticeable current and I was sorry I did. Inflatables are notoriously hard to steer and they are totally at the mercy of wind and water currents. Keep the inflatables for hike-ins to small lakes or ponds. Solid hulls are what you need in rivers.