Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
I'll let you know tommorrow after my tourney there.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I'll be up there trolling for saugeye tomorrow morning. I'll post back when I get home,and hopefully some pics of some nice big/fat saugeye!!!:T

·
Registered
41 Posts
MY FIRST POST WISH IT WAS BETTER NEWS ! ! ! !

I went out yesterday trolling. Real tight, no hits, maybe 2,although somehow I lost a treble hook.

Went straight out the middle marked a few fish in 7' hanging out at 3-4-5' . Probably s'eyes. Some surface fish

Nobody was catching anything at least guys who I was passing had thumbs down. Only one fish was reported. I had a surface temp of 53 and some areas towards channels, 55. I only seen 3 fish 2 dink perch at the dock bobber fishers and one guy pulled up a 11" bass up on an island in the channels

LIKE I SAID REAL TIGHT

·
Registered
20 Posts
Saugmon, I've followed your posts for some time and have found much of what you say to be very good on Indian. I too, locked on to a particular trolling pattern last summer down there and have planned on refining it all winter long. I've bought planer boards and need advice on rod/reel combos in which to pull them with. Any advice?

Those Bombers sure work well!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I went out this morning all by myself.

1 saugeye, a 19" around seminole Isle
1- 13" that I threw back-in a huge pack of boats 1/2 mile east of oldfield.

Nothing hit my planerboard the hour I had it set out.

Main lake water temp was 57-58 degrees. Water stained,but nothing out of the ordinary.

This is the earliest that I have ever trolled for them. I tried all my patterns from last year. Marked lots of fish at 4-5',probably not saugeye. They moved all my buoys 200-300 yrds closer to the isles around pew/seminole/cranetown.I'm glad I still have last years buoy waypoints.

ohio wanderer:

Tips:

Line: Spiderwire. If you got sensitive rods,you can feel everything hitting your bait,even a small pc of grass. You can even watch your rod tip and see the action of your bomber working.

Line counter Reels:

If I was to get setup again, I'd get all my linecounter reels at the same time, place,and having clickers.
Cabela's depthmaster linecounters work very well and at a good price. All mine are different. 1 dephmaster in yds,1 of them in feet,1 diawa in feet,1 shakespeare in feet-and all vary for their distance reading. I do use a portable shakespeare counter-breaks real easy,but it is accurate with a tapemeasure. Going with that shakespeare portable counter,for planerboard rods-24', for side rods-32' -in 6' of water,using 20# to 30# spiderwire.

Gotta keep the bait barely rubbing bottom.

Rods:

Stiff and sensitive rods for the side rods,flimsier rods for the planerboards. 8' or longer for the side rods so you can spread them out a little easier. Don't really matter for the planerboard rods,because the rubberband and board gives the bait all the action .Run the side rods-tips- lower than the planer board rods.You can set 2 planerboard rods in the back,and above the side rods. This will save you many tangles. I use very thin rubberbands-I have to clip them fingernail clippers to make them snap easier, and metal shower curtain hooks.

Let your bait out with approx 24' of line,loop a rubberband on your fishing line,hook showercurtain ring,slip it on the planerboard line,close the shower curtain ring,and slide her down 1' infront of the planerboard. Then set the side rod,appox 32'.

When you get a release from planerboard,the fish go directly to the back of boat,well away from the side rods. If you get a release on your side rod,the planerboard baits are already on the side,so no tangles unless you run the side rod lines above the planerboard lines.

With my setup,I can run my boards 80' to the side and hook 4 lines onto the boards and 1 rod off each side. The furthest outside rods will have to be the highest,the closer to the boat,stair step them down.

Bombers: They track true right out of the box. They stay down,even with the short yardage and with a 3 mph troll. Even the waves won't even bother them.1 itty bitty weed,chunk of wood, 1/2" minnow snagged- I can feel them.

It can be a nightmare with planerboards-snags-,but I can get out a lot more rods,try more colors, and cover more water.

You should have seen it last year when I'd make a wicked turn at a rockpoint with 1 of my boards,and put that board 5' from that rockpoint. Those saugeye would tear it up every time.:T

·
Registered
41 Posts
They moved all my buoys 200-300 yrds closer to the isles around pew/seminole/cranetown.
I noticed that too. At least that northern bouy at Pew marks that real bad snag! I've got a lot of $$ on that b4 I waypointed it

Line: Spiderwire....
I'll 2cnd that, although I also tie on a 8' flouro leader cause of other water

You should have seen it last year when I'd make a wicked turn at a rockpoint with 1 of my boards,and put that board 5' from that rockpoint.....
BTW good tip, but don't get too close. I lost a prop there :eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Was at Indian Lake saturday morning as well. Every thing had lock jaw. Caught 2 nice 10" crappi on a minner but that was it. TONS of boats there no one catching anything. I even threw the friggen tackle box in to see what they would like...... You would NOT beleve this, but a crappi told me to go get him some hooter wings...... SO I did.. but I didnt bring his a$$ back any. Hell if you cant beat them join them.......... Good luck everyone.

·
Super Moderator
3,930 Posts
hahhahaaa,

keep your head up jighead....you at least tried.
hope the beer and wings eased the pain.

get em next time!:B

Was at Indian Lake saturday morning as well. Every thing had lock jaw. Caught 2 nice 10" crappi on a minner but that was it. TONS of boats there no one catching anything. I even threw the friggen tackle box in to see what they would like...... You would NOT beleve this, but a crappi told me to go get him some hooter wings...... SO I did.. but I didnt bring his a$$ back any. Hell if you cant beat them join them.......... Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
329 Posts
i fished friday nite saterday morning and nite and sunday morning. real slow. only about 4 dinks (all males) and 2 babies, no females. fish were caught friday and saturday nite all 30 min before dark. tried many different presentations and spots without sucess. hopefully the weather will stablize and they will pick up. ill be up their again weds nite and thusday depending on weather. nice info saugmon, and nice fish.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Nice Saugeye boaterfisherdude!

Bruce: With my equipment, I :T at 3 mph, using gps.

When that water temp hits 65, the slaying should begin!

I should be closing on a house next monday,so I will be able to keep my boat at my residence. It sucks right now, drive 35 mins to pick up boat,and another 15 mins to lake. Then reverse that when I'm done.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The 2 side rods, Firecraw kicks some major saugeye butt! Tennessee shad have worked very well as well.

Planer rods- Red craw usually works the best,but sometimes firecraw.

Seems like 1 day,they'll tear up the side rods and won't touch the boards. The next day,they'll tear up the boards,but not the side rods. So we switch colors very often,but the firecraws are hard to beat. Not the regular firetigers.Some reason,we don't catch hardly any on them.

3-4 yrs ago,we'd tear them up with Bomber Flat A's-firetigers. Haven't caught crap on them ever since. Same goes for rattletraps. 5-6 yrs ago we'd tear them up.Now we can't even catch a cold with them, LOL:T

Now my #1 all time saugeye bait has been discontinued,but I still keep an eye out for it at Ebay,outdoor shows,odd bait shops. It's a bomber Model A, B-02.It's got the firetiger color,similar to the firecraw,except instead of a black crawdad profile,it has a black largemouth bass profile-along with the black lateral line. If you look at the regular firetiger Long A's,you'll see that largemouth bass profile on it. I'd have to change hooks at least once a week on them. I found 3 of them years ago,and must have avg'd about 100 saugeye per lure,and very little paint was left on them..

·
Retired Lake Erie Guide
115 Posts
Hello
Has there been any Bass action on Indian Lake. I am planning to fish there this week, Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts