close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Indian Village @ Griggs.

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by MLAROSA, Aug 3, 2004.

1. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

Just curious as to what this place is. Is it public land, open fishing? Some sort of program to put children in? Anyone have any information about this place? Looked like they rent boats?

G/f and I were driving around after church last Sunday adn ran into it, any information about it would be much appreciated.

2. I believe it is a summer camp for kids. They also have programs there for kids like the other metro parks. I don't think they rent out boats. I live about a mile from there but never really checked into it much.

3. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

I used to pass through the Indian village camp 4 or 5 times a week, while going saugeye & catfishing. The property is owned by the city of Columbus, and they run a camp for kids there during the summer. There are also after school activities that take place during the school year. As far as I know the boat docks and lodge are owned by the city, I have fished there many times and never have been told to leave. I am unsure as to who owns the crew lodge ( the lodge for all of the boats) There are alot of people from OSU there on a regular basis....but again...I have NEVER been told it is private property....and I believe the city of Columbus owns the entire east and west side of Griggs (until the dam...with the exception of that boat club) Yes you are allowed to fish there....its public property....you may run into some curious kids & counselors...but just be nice to them and they will be nice to you....And remember there are lots of kids around so drinking/smoking/littering will be frowned upon and will likely cause some commotion....be courteous and you will be fine. As for parking you I have parked back near the dumpsters until 2:00am without a problem...but it is a nice place to get ambushed so watch out (there aren’t many bad people around that area so I really wouldn’t worry)...P.S. there are some nice channel cat spots along the shore....and Im bettin there is a 70+lb flathead up in there somewhere...also I have seen 30-40....(yes 30-40) largemouth backed up into that feeder creek when the water is high...have fun!..acklac

percidaeben likes this.
  4. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

Hey, thanks for the great info guys. I'll have to take some gear with me next time.

5. fish-on

fish-on Surf&Turf='Eyes and Deer

I have heard that even this property is owned by the City, but is leased to the Yatch Club (however unverified). The story as I heard it says they all want to keep this info a little quite as people may get a upset that the City leases out what should be public park property to a private club. But I guess it only makes sense......City makes money.....club makes money.....public loses. What else is new.